From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Top five myths about ex-gay ministry dispelled by Exodus North

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 12 Jun 2001 14:47:09 GMT

Note #6612 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

America executive director
11-June-2001
GA01051

Top five myths about ex-gay ministry dispelled
by Exodus North America executive director

Bob Davies speaks at OneByOne luncheon

by Emily Enders Odom

LOUISVILLE, June 11 - "I'm here to affirm that I know change is possible,"
Bob Davies, executive director of Exodus North America, told a rapt audience
at the OneByOne luncheon Monday afternoon at the 213th General Assembly of
the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).  "I had grown up struggling with
homosexuality," he said later. "I had been in the church but I never
admitted to anybody what my struggle was."

Recounting the story of his own liberation from internal conflict, he spoke
of finally removing "all those masks" in the context of the church,
listening to the Scriptures in order to walk in the light with other
believers, and learning to confess his sins and faults.  "I found that when
you take God at His word, it really works," he said.

The top five myths about ex-gay ministry according to Davies are that ex-gay
ministries are a fraud, that methods such as shock treatment are employed,
that persons do not come forward of their own volition but are forced, that
people actually get worse, and that ex-gay ministries have a hidden, or
political, agenda.

Describing how his organization, Exodus North America, helps people to
change, and addressing the myth of its exotic methodology, Davies stated,
"We use fairly ordinary methods such as prayer, accountability groups, Bible
studies."  Davies spoke consistently of the power of the Gospel of Jesus
Christ to transform lives.  "This kind of transformation is genuine and it's
long term," he said.

Lisa Kelley, a youth advisory delegate from Seattle Presbytery, attended the
event to gather information.  As a youth leader in her church, she said that
she is aware of "youth that are struggling, and want to hear what the church
says," especially on issues of sexuality.

OneByOne's mission is to minister the transforming grace and power of the
Lord Jesus Christ to those who are in conflict with their sexuality.
Theresa Latini, the organization's executive director, and Jeffrey Winter, a
founding member, provided the introductory remarks and prayer for the
sold-out event.