From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Griswold leads delegation of church leaders to meet with Powell

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:08:06 -0400 (EDT)

2001-146

Presiding bishop leads delegation of church leaders to meet with Secretary of
State Powell

by James Solheim

     (ENS) Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold led a delegation of church leaders
to a 40-minute meeting with Secretary of State Colin Powell on June 7 to discuss
the elusive search for peace in the Middle East.

     Griswold gave Powell a letter (see http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens/2001-
143.html) that thanked him "for your effort to end the Israeli-Palestinian cycle
of violence and rebuild the trust and mutual confidence that are critical for a
negotiated settlement."

     The letter argued that "this long and tragic conflict is a cancer that
threatens the health of the whole region," and said that "there is no higher
priority for peacemaking in the world today than that between Israel and
Palestinians." In identifying the threats to peace, the letter said that "few
things have done more to destroy the hope and pursuit of peace through
negotiations than Israel's unrelenting settlement activity" and that recent
administrations opposed the settlements "only to watch the settlements increase
and expand as Israel ignores the advice."

     "We urge you to make clear to Israel and the Palestinians that the United
States is committed to a negotiated end of Israel's military occupation of the
Gaza Strip, the West Bank and East Jerusalem as called for in United Nations
Security Council resolution 242 and that an immediate freezing by Israel of its
settlement activity, including 'natural growth,' is imperative," the letter said.

     "We endorsed the major conclusions and recommendations of the Mitchell
Report, convinced that it could be the basis for restarting the peace
negotiations," said Griswold in an interview after the meeting. (The report
emerged from the visit of a team to the area, led by former Maine Senator George
Mitchell.)

     In addition to members of the delegation, the letter presented to Powell was
signed by 26 of the nation's top Protestant, Orthodox and Roman Catholic leaders.

     The idea for the meeting with Powell came from a high-level ecumenical
delegation that visited the area last December (see
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens/2000-240.html). They returned with an urgent
request from Mideast church leaders that their American counterparts meet with
the new secretary of state to plead for renewed peace efforts. Since Powell is an
Episcopalian, Griswold made the contact and Powell responded quickly to set the
appointment.

Trench warfare diplomacy

     In both the letter and the discussion with Powell, the church leaders
expressed their growing alarm at the escalation of violence in recent months.
Powell made it clear that he was vexed by the situation and found it "very
painful" to listen to both sides justify the violence, according to the Rev.
Canon Brian Grieves, director of peace and justice ministries for the Episcopal
Church and staff to the delegation.

     Powell is eager to move beyond the pattern of violence, Grieves said, but it
was also clear that he expects the Palestinian Authority's chairman, Yasser
Arafat, to use his moral authority in attempts to stop the violence by
Palestinians. "Powell told us that he needs us to tell both sides to stop
violence," Grieves said.

     "He urged us to use our voices, to shout from our steeples, that both sides
must commit to non-violence," said Griswold. "And he urged us to speak forcefully
on the issue."

     Griswold and Grieves were impressed with the deep level of urgency Powell is
giving to the issues, noting that he is "deeply immersed in contacts with both
sides," in touch with them on a daily basis. "It was very obvious that he is
engaged fully," said Grieves, adding that it is also clear that the United States
is moving toward an increased role in the search for solutions but as a part of a
larger international effort, not one that is unilateral.

     "We are engaged in trench warfare diplomacy," Powell told the delegation.
When someone expressed concern that the fanatics on both sides seem to be in
control and that many are losing hope, Powell said that people of faith must not
give up hope.

     In comments to the press after the meeting, Griswold said he was convinced
that Powell sees the churches as allies in the peace process. "We certainly felt
that we established a working relationship and that he would be happy to work
with us in the future," he said.

--James Solheim is director of news and information for the Episcopal Church.
(Photos are available at www.episcopalchurch.org/ens)