From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Committee approves report on domestic violence

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 12 Jun 2001 21:06:52 GMT

Note #6623 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

12-June-2001
GA01065

Committee approves report on domestic violence

Document makes recommendations for combating abuse

by Evan Silverstein

LOUISVILLE, June 12 -When Donna Riley's now ex-boyfriend pushed her down a
flight of stairs in 1994 "my church was not there for me at all."
When the incident and subsequent legal proceedings grabbed headlines in
local newspapers, Riley, age 23 at the time, felt exposed and alone.

"But my church did nothing," the Presbyterian woman from Washington D.C.,
now 29, said of her former congregation in Pittsburgh, Pa.

But on Tuesday, the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) took a step forward in
tackling the serious social issue. The General Assembly Committee on
National and Social Issues overwhelmingly approved a major policy paper on
the problem of domestic violence. The paper now goes before the 213th
General Assembly.

The 84-page compilation - entitled Turn Mourning Into Dancing! A Policy
Statement on Healing Domestic Violence - includes more than 60
recommendations for action, including a variety of educational and advocacy
efforts at all levels of the church, and asks congregations to become more
involved in ministries to victims, survivors and perpetrators of domestic
violence.

It was compiled by the church's Advisory Committee on Social Witness Policy
(ACSWP), and is perhaps the most significant social policy proposal to this
year's Assembly.

 "I'm a survivor of domestic violence and I am so thankful for this report,"
Riley said Monday during a public hearing on the policy. "It is wonderfully
written and addresses what I believe is a major problem in the church: our
inability to respond appropriately and effectively to our violence."

Abuse victims and other proponents of the paper took turns speaking at
Monday's hearing, some returned Tuesday to watch the 49-member committee
sign off on the report. ACSWP prepared the document in response to an
overture (resolution) to the 1997 General Assembly from the Presbytery of
East Iowa.

The purpose of the policy statement is to "hear the voices of victims and
survivors and respond to their calls with the following goals: first, to
protect the victims from further abuse; second, to stop the abuser's
violence and hold the abuser accountable; and third, to restore the family
relationship, if possible, or mourn the loss of the relationship."

"The importance of this paper is that victims and survivors are brought to
safety," said Peter A. Sulyok, ACSWP's coordinator and lead staff person for
the task force on healing domestic violence.  "Also, that those who abuse
are held accountable and that some form of restoration or reconciliation
takes place within the family. That's the importance of this paper, for the
church to get that message out to the congregations."

According to the report, domestic violence stems from "a need for power and
control," and can take many forms: physical, emotional and sexual abuse, and
abuse by neglect. It includes child abuse, spouse/partner abuse, elder
abuse, sibling abuse and dating violence. The paper asserts that the church
"should be a vehicle of God's love, justice and grace for victims and
survivors. This will require an intentional process of becoming trustworthy
partners in the process of mourning, healing and reconnecting."

In related news, the committee during its first meeting on Monday,
unanimously approved an overture from the Presbytery of Long Island
pertaining to providing financial assistance to Presbyterians who are
pursing adoption.  The overture, which now goes to the General Assembly,
calls upon commissioners to direct the General Assembly Council to establish
within two years, a special fund for adoption. Voluntary contributions may
be made by churches, individuals and others for the purpose of providing
financial assistance to those seeking to adopt a child. A report is to be
made to the General Assembly in 2003.