From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Ordination Standards committee proposes sweeping repeal of ban on

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 12 Jun 2001 21:23:51 GMT

Note #6627 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

gay ordination
12-June-2001
GA01072

Ordination Standards committee proposes sweeping repeal of ban on gay
ordination

Vote is 31-25 to repeal G-6.0106b and 'authoritative interpretation'

by Jerry Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, June 12 - A colossal battle looms on the floor of the 213th
General Assembly after its Assembly Committee on Ordination Standards voted
today to recommend that both the sexual conduct standards for ordination and
the 23-year-old "authoritative interpretation" of the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.) Book of Order on the subject be repealed.

	The final vote on the sweeping measure - Overture 01-8 from New York City
Presbytery with an addition from Overture 01-12 from the Presbytery of the
Western Reserve -- was 31-25. A substitute motion to answer all the
ordination overtures in the negative and send a pastoral letter to the
presbyteries was defeated, 24-31.

 	After the committee voted to adopt Overture 01-8, it voted to let its
action answer all other overtures related to ordination standards.

	Those on the losing side of the vote immediately announced that they would
file a minority report.

	The recommendation asks that G-6.0106b be deleted from the Book of Order,
that the "authoritative interpretation" of 1978 "be given no further force
or effect," and that a sentence be added to G-6.0106a stating: "Their
(candidates for ordination) suitability to hold office is determined by the
governing body where the examination for ordination or installation takes
place, guided by Scriptural and constitutional standards under the authority
and Lordship of Jesus Christ."

	If the proposal is approved by the Assembly, the new authoritative
interpretation will not take effect unless a majority of the 173
presbyteries vote to ratify the deletion of G-6.0106b.

	The close vote mirrored the debate in this committee and the running battle
that has nearly consumed the PC(USA) since G-6.0106b was approved by the
1996 General Assembly and then ratified by the presbyteries by a vote of
97-74.

	During a free-wheeling discussion that lasted all morning and well into the
afternoon, speakers to the motion were almost evenly divided.

	The Rev. Molly Douthett of Miami Presbytery, who made the motion that
eventually passed, urged committee members not to be afraid. "I hear people
saying we'll die, that this will be the end of the Presbyterian Church," she
said. "Well, why are we afraid? Christ conquered death, so there's no place
for fear in the life of faith."

	But the Rev. David Hornor of Donegal Presbytery warned that the PC(USA)
will be adversely affected in a variety of ways that should cause concern.
"This will hurt our relations with a number of our partner churches, who
have told us their relationships with us will be difficult to maintain if we
ordain homosexuals," he said. "Beyond that," Hornor said, "I fear what will
happen on the floors of our presbyteries, with every candidate for
installation questioned about their sexual orientation or practice. Some
pastors will not be welcome in other presbyteries."

	Ted Mikels of Salem Presbytery called the proposal "a broadside in our
continuing wars." Camille Josey of Greater Atlanta Presbytery agreed. "This
overture will engage us in a war that cannot be won," she said. "We should
seek any other method than legislation."

	The Rev. Ted Blankinship of Central Florida Presbytery called ordination
standards a "justice issue" that cannot be avoided. "It doesn't matter if
we're tired of it," he said, "I'm sure the civil rights advocates in the 60s
got real tired, too. But no other class of Presbyterians is excluded and we
must do what is right, no matter how tired we are of it."

	Other opponents argued that the Bible is clear that homosexuality is a sin
and that the church simply cannot tolerate or excuse sinful behavior. Alfred
Roth of Cascades Presbytery said, "I look at the issue this way: What does
God's Word say? If this passes, I'm concerned about what will happen to that
part of the church that holds to God's Word and therefore these standards."

	But Theological Student Advisory Delegate Theresa Wood-Burgess said, "We
can't take the Bible literally or all the women in this room would have to
leave." Ralph LeVan of Scioto Valley Presbytery said that "even if we grant
that homosexuality is a sin, according to the Bible, so is divorce and we've
decided that's okay."

	The issue of sinfulness is related to the issue of repentance, said several
committee members. "God gives us a chance to repent," said the Rev. Robert
Thornton of Abingdon Presbytery. "I step in mudholes, but eventually I learn
to walk around 'em," he said. "We'll vote today but the Word of God will
remain and we'll eventually have to submit to His standards."

	Kathryn Morgan rejected the idea that the Bible is an exclusive possession
of any one person or position. "I hear 'my Bible says this,'" she said, "but
it's God's Bible, not yours or mine. I've seen God's Word lived out in the
lives of (homosexual persons) and I believe there's room in God's house for
all of us."