From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Coalition hosts its first General Assembly breakfast

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 12 Jun 2001 21:41:25 GMT

Note #6630 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

12-June-2001
GA01071

Coalition hosts its first General Assembly breakfast

by Emett Barfield

LOUISVILLE, June 12 - The Coalition served breakfast Tuesday morning to 220
commissioners, observers, and friends. Jerry Andrews, moderator of the
Coalition, introduced the speaker for the morning, the Rev. James H. Logan,
Jr., who is the minister of the Bread of Life Ministries, Charlotte, N. C.
He has provided distinguished service to the church as a member of the board
of Princeton Theological Seminary and is currently on the board of the
Coalition.

The title of Logan's message was "I Don't Want Ichabod Written over my
Door!" Using the story of the death of Eli in I Samuel 4: 12-22, he
paralleled the condition of the Presbyterian Church [U. S. A] with that of
Israel at the time of the war between Israel and the Philistines.

 With his staccato style delivery and frequent challenges to his audience
for verbal response, he moved the audience to enthusiastic response.
He reminded the gathering that the daughter-in-law of the chief priest, Eli,
named her son "Ichabod" which means "The glory has departed from Israel."
He concluded his message for the morning by calling the people to declare
with him antiphonally, "I do not want Ichabod written over my door."

Andrews began the meeting by introducing Assembly moderator, Jack Rogers,
who brought greetings to the Coalition. He cited Psalm 7:7: "Let the
assembly of the peoples be gathered around you, and over it take your seat
on high." Moderator Rogers asked that this become the Golden Text of the
various groups during this 213 General Assembly.