From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Theological Issues Committee wrestles with confessional changes

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 12 Jun 2001 21:36:04 GMT

Note #6629 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

12-June-2001
GA01070

Theological Issues Committee wrestles with confessional changes

by Jane Hines

LOUISVILLE, JUNE 12 -The Assembly Committee on Theological Issues,
Educational Institutions has adopted a response that combines two overtures
regarding the confessions of the church.  One of the overtures, 01-61 from
the Presbytery of Alaska, requests the Office of Theology and Worship to
make available a Book of Confessions--Worship Edition. The other overture,
01-34 from the Presbytery of Detroit, asks the Assembly to revise The Book
of Confessions to include sensitive, inclusive language in regard to
humanity.

The committee considered the long and intricate process involved in changing
The Book of Confessions and decided to ask for a new preface but to keep the
historic confessions intact.

The motion which will come before the Assembly reads: "We respond to the two
overtures (01-34 and 01-61) by requesting the Office of Theology and Worship
to prepare worship resources based on The Book of Confessions which are
sensitive to inclusive language with regard to men and women.
Further to request that the Office of Theology and Worship and the Office of
the General Assembly prepare a preface to The Book of Confessions which will
present the confessions as historical statements which we affirm and also
highlights our denominational commitment to be gender inclusive in our life
and worship."

The committee heard from the staff of the Office of Theology and Worship and
the Stated Clerk of the General Assembly before voting 55 to 2 to approve
the motion in response to the overtures.