From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Venezuelan native is voice for the voiceless

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 12 Jun 2001 22:30:34 GMT

Note #6632 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

12-June-2001
GA01074

Venezuelan native is voice for the voiceless

by Emily Enders Odom

LOUISVILLE, June 12 - Ricardo Moreno's gaze grows intense when he speaks
about life in Los Angeles County, where undocumented immigrants seek and are
denied the basic privileges that U.S. citizens take for granted.

A native of Valencia, Venezuela, Moreno understands well the immigrant
experience.  Raised in a family with roots in both the Pentecostal and Roman
Catholic traditions, Moreno first became involved in the Reformed Church
through a student group at the Universidad de Carabobo, where he studied
religion and social science.  He sought out the Reformed Church group
intentionally because of their political activities and engagement in social
justice issues.

Since coming to the United States 11 years ago, he became involved in the
Presbyterian Church, finding his spiritual home at the Immanuel Presbyterian
Church, a multicultural church in Los Angeles of approximately 250 members.
Moreno is not only an active member there, but a community organizer for the
church as well.  In that capacity, he addresses immigration, education and
health issues on behalf of the entire community.

"My experience as an immigrant in the United States put me in a better
position to understand our ministry to the ethnic cultures," he said.  "I am
a voice for peoples who are silent, to allow these people, who are members
in our own churches, to get access to a better quality of life."

The fruits of his passion for justice have taken shape in Commissioners'
Resolution 01-27, calling for the church's support in full legalization for
immigrants in the United States of America.  Approved by the Assembly
Committee on National and Social Issues, Moreno awaits the opportunity as a
co-author to support his resolution on the floor of the Assembly.  His goal
for this 213th General Assembly is "to raise the consciousness about the
situation with the ethnic constituencies who are struggling."

Married with a six year-old daughter and a fifteen month-old son, Moreno is
currently a candidate for the ministry in his last year at the San Francisco
Theological Seminary's Southern California Campus.
 As he contemplated where God might be calling him after graduation, he
admitted his desire to remain in Los Angeles, where he feels supported by
his home church, presbytery and synod.  "Besides," he added, "There's a
great need here, so many people here."