From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSAnews] Small church supporters gather for breakfast

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 14 Jun 2001 16:38:55 GMT

Note #6681 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Small church supporters gather for breakfast
14-June-2001
GA01120

Small church supporters gather for breakfast

by Emett Barfield
LOUISVILLE, June 14- "We [the small churches] are the backbone of our
denomination," says the Rev. Dale Jackson, the new associate for Small
Church Development, in welcoming members and friends of small churches
throughout the Presbyterian Church
(U. S. A.).

The Small Church Development Office and the Small Church Network Team are
the advocates for small churches. The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) with
11,000+ congregations has more than 8,000 of them in the category of the
smaller church.   Jackson says his role as associate is "To equip and
support small churches with the tools necessary for the ongoing work of
being healthy, vibrant, spiritual, and vital beacons of God's presence in
their communities."

The principal speaker for the morning was the Rev. Curtis A. Kearns, Jr.,
director of the National Ministries Division in Louisville.  Kearns' message
theme was "Seeing the Multitudes." His text was Mark 3:7: "Jesus departed
with his disciples to the sea and a great multitude from Galilee." He
pointed out that the church of Jesus Christ is an inheritor of his ability
to attract crowds. He believes that the Gospel is still a magnate and people
continue to be receptive to the Gospel. However, he is quick to add: "In
national ministries, we have sophistication enough to know that it does not
apply to raw numbers. We value all churches of any size." He concluded his
remarks by emphasizing that "We have the inheritance of magnetic power from
Jesus to show the love of God."