From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSAnews] A life-long ecumenical Christian,

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 14 Jun 2001 21:51:32 GMT

Note #6687 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

A life-long ecumenical Christian,
attends his first Assembly
14-June-2001
GA01129

A life-long ecumenical Christian,
attends his first Assembly

by Luca Negro

LOUISVILLE, June 14 - John Patriarche is a commissioner from Michigan. He
lives in East Lansing, where he is elder of an Ecumenical Church founded in
1907 and affiliated with four denominations: Presbyterian, Baptist,
Methodist and Congregational (now United Church of Christ). The congregation
has 1,550 members, 62 who are Presbyterians while the rest belong to various
church traditions - not just the four funding members of this long lasting
ecumenical venture.

	Patriarche himself doesn&#8217;t come from a Presbyterian background.
&#8220;I was brought up as an Episcopalian, and my wife was a Methodist. So
when we married we decided that it would be appropriate to join an
ecumenical congregation. And so we did.&#8221;

He worked for many years in East Lansing as a city engineer and city
manager, and later moved to Ann Arbor, where he and his wife joined the
First Presbyterian Church. &#8220;That&#8217;s how I got directly involved
in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). After some years I moved back to East
Lansing, and I was asked to represent our Ecumenical Church in the
Presbytery of Lake Michigan.&#8221;

At the age of 84, this is his first experience as commissioner. He is not a
life-long Presbyterian, but he is definitely a life-long ecumenical
Christian.