From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSAnews] Commissioner put Year of Child initiative to good use

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 14 Jun 2001 22:58:46 GMT

Note #6689 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Commissioner put Year of Child initiative to good use
14-June-2001
GA01133

Commissioner put Year of Child initiative to good use

by Midge Mack

LOUISVILLE, June 14 &#8212; Last year Jean Post-Winget attended General
Assembly from Hudson River Presbytery in New York State as an observer, a
commissioner-elect. As a teacher and a parent of adolescents, she was
inspired by the Year of the Child initiative to take one of the ideas she
heard about back to her congregation, First Presbyterian Church, Yorktown
N.Y.

This year she&#8217;s a full-fledged commissioner having worked hard on the
Theological Issues Committee.  She still most enjoys telling others about
the program she helped to put into effect back home, a class, more
imaginatively called a &#8220;conversation&#8221; and basically a support
group, for parents of adolescents.

Jean is proud of Yorktown First&#8217;s entire Christian Education program
and the process that created it. &#8220;We use an intergenerational,
rotation model, and it grew out of our own specific need,&#8221; she
explains. &#8220;Recently we had to tear down a part of our church building
in order to expand it, particularly the classroom area.

&#8220;In the middle of all of this we had very few classrooms, so
intergenerational classes had to be developed. The rotation model was best
adapted to this situation, so we started using that, too. We discovered that
we liked it and that the process changed how we view Christian
Education.&#8221;
&#8220;We&#8217;re not quite as intergenerational now that we have more
space, but we continue that approach where it fits well.

As a session member Jean chaired the congregational nurture committee, of
which this program is now a part. Currently she is serving on Presbytery
Council, chairing the Congregational Empowerment unit. She is also an
adjunct professor at Pace University School of Education, teaching special
education courses and supervising students.

&#8220;I&#8217;m also proud of my congregation and presbytery for taking a
stand for inclusivity, and hope that this Assembly will eventually move in
that direction,&#8221; she concluded.