From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Commissioners add a word to salvation resolution

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Jun 2001 18:06:38 GMT

Note #6706 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

15-June-2001
GA01146

Commissioners add a word to salvation resolution

by Jane Hines

LOUISVILLE, June 15 - On Friday, June 15, commissioners voted to add a word
to a resolution which they had adopted on June 14 during the report of the
Theological Issues committee. Minister Commissioner Charles Heyward from the
Presbytery of Charleston-Atlantic told the Assembly he believed the word
"never" should be inserted in the response to Overtures 43, 51 and 52.
Seventy-nine percent of commissioners agreed with him and the resolution now
reads:

"The General Assembly offers its thanksgiving for the concerns raised by the
Presbyteries of Beaver Butler, San Diego, and San Joaquin regarding faith in
Jesus Christ, to whom all power in heaven and earth has been given.  We
recognize a widespread concern for recovering the place of our confessions
in all aspects of church life.  The General Assembly answers Overtures
01-43, 01-51, and 01-52 by requesting the Office of Theology and Worship to
prepare and widely publicize a list of available materials for study and
worship that will help our congregations better understand the theological
richness of the Lordship of Jesus Christ in The Book of Confessions, Book of
Order, and the scriptures; the imperfections in our daily responses to God's
calling; and ways in which congregational and individual witness can be
strengthened.

     "As a witness to what we believe, we affirm the following statement:

     "We confess the unique authority of Jesus Christ as Lord.  Every other
authority is finally subject to Christ.

     "Jesus Christ is also uniquely Savior.  It is 'his life, death,
resurrection, ascension and final return that restores creation, providing
salvation for all those whom God has chosen to redeem.'*  Although we do not
know the limits of God's grace and pray for the salvation of those who may
NEVER come to know Christ, for us the assurance of salvation is found only
in confessing Christ and trusting Him alone.  We are humbled in our witness
to Christ by our realization that our understanding of him and his way is
limited and distorted by our sin.  Still the transforming power of Christ in
our lives compels us to make Christ known to others."

*The Crucified One is Lord, pg. 4