From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Elder Commissioner for Coastal Carolina enjoys her role at the 213th

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Jun 2001 20:07:04 GMT

Note #6709 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

General Assembly
15-June-2001
GA01149

Elder Commissioner for Coastal Carolina enjoys her role at the 213th General
Assembly

by Emett Barfield

LOUISVILLE, June 15 - Elder Vida Potter is a commissioner from the
Presbytery of Coastal Carolina. Not only is she a member of session of the
Cape Carteret Presbyterian Church of Swansboro, N. C., she is the church
secretary. When the session considered whom they should send as commissioner
to this year's Assembly, the unanimous conclusion was Vida Potter, church
secretary, to be the most informed member to represent the presbytery.

	This life-long Presbyterian moved to Swansboro 13 years ago from
Pittsburgh, Pa. and became a member of the Cape Carteret Church. Her
experience as church secretary helps her to understand the implications of
many of the issues with which she is working here.

	Potter is pleased to have served on the Church Polity Committee. She said,
"I love the spirit of cooperation we shared in committee. It was a great
fellowship." She appreciates the leadership of the committee's use of song
after dealing with each issue. According to Potter it was a tremendous
tension reliever for all the committee members.

	As a first time commissioner to the General Assembly, she felt an
understandable anxiety concerning her upcoming work here. She said, "Once I
got here, it was so well organized I was completely relieved."  When asked
about the downside of her experience, she said, smiling, "The Roberts Rules
of Order can drive you crazy." Concerning her most positive reaction, she
immediately responded, "The resource people. They are so well prepared to
assist and they handle the issues before us so well."