From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSAnews] Mother of 208th General Assembly YAD attends as 213th commissioner

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Jun 2001 21:29:47 GMT

Note #6710 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Mother of 208th General Assembly YAD attends as 213th commissioner
15-June-2001
GA01150

Mother of 208th General Assembly YAD attends as 213th commissioner

by Emett Barfield

LOUISVILLE, June 14- Elder Diane Helin of the First Presbyterian Church of
Sioux Falls, S.D. had been elected to serve as an alternate to this
year&#8217;s Assembly and was looking forward greatly to attending the
Columbus, Ohio Assembly. However, because of the cancellation of the
commissioner elect, she was called to fill the void this year.

When asked if she were willing to go to this year&#8217;s Assembly, this
mother of a &#8217;96 YAD, said, &#8220;Yes, I definitely want to go.&#8221;
Asked her reaction to being a commissioner, she said, &#8220;I was very
impressed with the issues before our committee and our Assembly. We dealt
with the ordination of educators in our church, and I was grateful to the
resource people. They are incredible. They have total knowledge of every
issue with which we dealt. Furthermore, they were able to communicate very
well.&#8221;

She mentioned one particular issue as a concern for presbyteries to
consider. She believes that it would be good if the alternate for one year
attends the Assembly the previous year to prepare for attendance the
following year. The experience of observing without the pressure of
commissioner responsibilities would be most beneficial, she feels.

Helin said that she had just completed a post card for the folks back home.
On it she had penned; &#8220;Wish you were here, glad I am.&#8221; This
articulates as well as any, the experience of this second generation
mother/daughter General Assembly participant.