From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSAnews] Saturday worship centered on reconciliation

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 16 Jun 2001 14:21:23 GMT

Note #6717 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Saturday worship centered on reconciliation
16-June-2001
GA01157

Saturday worship centered on reconciliation

by Sue Boardman

LOUISVILLE, June 16 &#8212; Commissioners and Assembly participants gathered
for morning worship during the final hours of the annual meeting of the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) in the room where they have struggled to do the
business of the denomination this week in Louisville, Ky.
A grinning Jack Rogers, moderator of the Assembly, joined in on the platform
as weary commissioners tried to dance and sing a song from Northern Ghana.

The proclamation of the Word was offered by the Thuma Mina Mission Theatre
Company, using word and song and movement to ask the &#8220;God of
Life,&#8221; to &#8220;prepare our hands for [the] touch&#8221; of awakening
and hope and feeling. The drama was humorous at times, and heart-wrenching
at others, using the story of Jesus walking on water to explore the creation
of new types of communities.

Rogers, who led the prayers of the people, asked that &#8220;we might boldly
proclaim the Good News by the words of our mouths and the deeds of our
lives.&#8221; Following the blessing, commissioners resumed their seats and
turned to the work of the day.