From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Conference seeks church court ruling on gay appointments

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2001 15:05:31 -0500

June 18, 2001 News media contact: Tim Tanton·(615)742-5470·Nashville, Tenn.
10-21-28-71B{276}

By United Methodist News Service*

United Methodists in the Pacific Northwest are requesting a declaratory
decision from the denomination's Judicial Council on two parts of church law
that they say are contradictory regarding the appointment of homosexual
pastors.

Members of the Pacific Northwest Annual (regional) Conference, meeting June
13-17 in Tacoma, Wash., approved asking the church's supreme court to give
Bishop Elias G. Galvan guidance on the matter. Galvan leads the church's
Seattle Area, which comprises the Pacific Northwest Conference.

The United Methodist Book of Discipline states that any ordained elder in
good standing must be appointed (Paragraph 328.1). However, the book also
forbids the appointment of "self-avowed practicing homosexuals" (Paragraph
304.3).

During the conference's annual gathering, two pastors were refused
appointments to churches because of their disclosure that they are
practicing homosexuals. The Rev. Karen Dammann and the Rev. Mark Edward
Williams were placed under the supervision of the Rev. Bob Hoshibata,
Seattle District superintendent, while the bishop's cabinet tries to find
appropriate paid positions in the church for them until the Judicial Council
rules. The nine-member court will meet in October.

A third pastor, the Rev. Katie Ladd, also revealed that she is homosexual.
She will remain on paid disability leave rather than receive an appointment.

"We recognize that we are caught between two conflicting paragraphs of the
Book of Discipline and are aware that this affects many, but especially
these three colleagues, their lives, their livelihoods and their careers,"
Galvan said. "It is our intention to move through our process in love and
support for each other as followers of Christ."

In their request to the Judicial Council, approved June 14, the conference
members raised three questions:
·	If a clergy woman states in a letter to her bishop that she is
"living in a partnered, covenanted, homosexual relationship with another
woman," is that a sufficient declaration that she is a "self-avowed
practicing homosexual" to make her ineligible for an appointment, based on
the definition of "self-avowed practicing homosexual" in the footnote to
Paragraph 304.3 and Judicial Council Decision 702?
·	"What are the meaning, application and effect of Paragraph 304.3 as
that paragraph relates to Paragraph 325.1?" Does the first paragraph modify
the second one?
·	What is the status in the annual conference if the person is not
eligible for an appointment? If she is ineligible based on the Book of
Discipline passages, "must some action be taken to change her status so that
she is not an elder in full connection in good standing?"

Dammann wrote a letter to Galvan on Feb. 14 stating that she was living in a
homosexual relationship with another woman and that they had a son. On
family leave at the time, Dammann requested that she be allowed to return
and that she be appointed to a local church. In an April 18 letter to
conference clergy and lay members, Galvan said that "under the provision of
Paragraph 304.3, I find I cannot appoint her."

The conference pastors adopted a resolution in support of Dammann during the
annual clergy session, June 13.

Conference members were surprised two days later, when Williams told the
assembly that he is homosexual. "The fact that I am gay is a core part of my
identity," he said. "I'm proudly as much a practicing gay man as I am a
practicing United Methodist." He said he made the announcement to force the
church to examine the harm its policies are causing its members.

Afterward, Galvan led the conference in prayer. He referred the question of
Williams' status to the cabinet and the conference Board of Ordained
Ministry.

Ladd disclosed her sexual orientation during an open dialogue time the
following day, June 16.

At the conference's closing worship service, most of the pastors receiving
appointments symbolically removed their stoles and placed them on the cross,
in a show of solidarity with Dammann and Williams.

"We realize that Karen and Mark are caught in a conflict between two
apparently contradictory church laws, and we support them at this difficult
time," Galvan said.

"As a bishop, I must uphold the Book of Discipline," he said. "I respect the
efforts of those in our conference seeking to change church law and look
forward to the Judicial Council's ruling."
# # #
*Kathleen Deakins of Tacoma, Wash., provided the information for this
report.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org