From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

News Brief

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:18:30 -0400 (EDT)

2001-152

News Brief

Keyser selected as Montana interim bishop

     (ENS) Charles L. Keyser of Jacksonville, Florida, retired bishop for the
Armed Forces, has been called as assisting bishop for the Diocese of Montana
during a transition period anticipated to last at least two years.

     Charles I. "Ci" Jones III, Episcopal bishop of Montana since 1986, submitted
his resignation to the diocesan council on February 26. The resignation,
effective Ash Wednesday, February 28, followed a February 14 decision by the
Court for the Trial of a Bishop deposing Jones for sexual misconduct. Jones is
appealing the sentence.

     Keyser was selected after an evaluation by members of the diocesan standing
committee (which is currently the ecclesiastical authority for the diocese), the
diocesan council, and diocesan administrative staff. The decision has been
endorsed by Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold.

     In a joint communication released June 14, the Rev. Clark Sherman, rector at
St. James in Bozeman and president of the standing committee, and George Day,
parishioner at St. Stephen's in Billings and vice-chair of the diocesan council,
stated that conversations with those who have known and worked with Bishop Keyser
"have only strengthened our belief that [he] will serve us well" during the
transition. "The information received further affirms our [leadership's]
unanimous support of him," they said.

     "I look forward to having Bishop Keyser with us," said the Rev. Stephen
Brehe of St. Peter's in Helena. "He will find a diocese eager to go forward.
There is a tremendous reservoir of good will and energy being released at this
time. This is an exciting time to be an Episcopalian in Montana," said Brehe, who
also serves on the diocesan council.

     Keyser, who is currently dean pro tem at Christ Church Cathedral in New
Orleans, has initiated plans to bring his present responsibilities to a close in
order to begin his work in Montana no later than August 23, 2001.