From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans censure Minnesota church for ordaining lesbian

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:46:07 -0400 (EDT)

2001-163

Lutherans censure Minnesota church for ordaining lesbian

by James Solheim

     (ENS) The St. Paul Area Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
is placing a local parish under "public censure and admonition for willfully violating
the ELCA Constitution" for ordaining a lesbian in defiance of church policy.

     Bishop Mark S. Hanson issued the censure of St. Paul-Reformation Church June 12
with the support of the synod council. The church extended a call to Anita Hill, who
had been serving in a lay capacity on the staff since 1983, and ordained her April 28.
She has not complied with a policy that requires clergy to refrain from homosexual
relationships.

     "For the past several months our synod has engaged in prayer, public conversation,
assembly debate and an on-line meeting," Hanson said in his notice of censure, seeking
what he called "an appropriate response." As a bishop, he said that he was looking for
a response that would be faithful to Scripture, the Lutheran Confessions and the
church's governing documents, "while also recognizing the need for bold witness and
creative ministry as we proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ in our growing and increasingly
diverse metropolitan community. I am mindful," he said that these decisions hold the potential
for greater healing and for deeper division within the synod and the ELCA."

     Hanson said that Hill would not be on the ELCA roster "as long as she is not in
compliance with the ELCA's standards for ordination." He also pointed out some of the
implications and consequences of censure. Members of the congregation, for example,
won't be allowed to serve in leadership positions of the synod, although it remains a
parish of the ELCA.  The bishop said that "it distresses me that the congregation has
risked undermining its relationship with the ELCA…. The congregation's actions threaten
the ELCA's unity and sense of common mission."

     The censure will take effect September 1 unless the ELCA's Churchwide Assembly in
August takes an action that would change the requirements for ordination.

Breaking the rules

     The Rev. Paul Tidemann of St. Paul-Reformation said, "We remain continually
frustrated over the fact that the ELCA appears to value rules (on gay and lesbian
ordination) which to us seem unjust and contrary to the gospel."

     Hill said, "We did break the rules--thoughtfully, prayerfully and reluctantly. For
us it's a matter of justice."

     The church's Definition and Guidelines for Discipline of Ordained Ministers states
that "practicing homosexual persons are precluded from the ordained ministry of this
church." The church's Vision and Expectations states that "ordained and commissioned
ministers who are homosexual in their self-understanding are expected to abstain from
homosexual sexual relationships."

     St. Paul-Reformation has sought to change the church's policy or secure an
exception for Hill, without success. But the St. Paul Area Synod is sending a motion to
this summer's Churchwide Assembly that would amend Vision and Expectation to allow
homosexual clergy in committed relationships and to allow bishops to consider
exceptions to the standards until changes go into effect.

     Tidemann said that Hill's ordination was not a "congregationalist" act. "We want
to be clear we did everything we could to ordain Anita Hill in the ELCA," he said,
pointing out that Hill has been a staff member in the parish since 1983 and that "after
18 years, after every door was closed, we felt we couldn't wait any more."

--James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service. This story is based on reports
from the news service of the ELCA.