From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal bishops ask President and Congress to join global fight against AIDS

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2001 15:06:40 -0400 (EDT)

2001-171

Episcopal bishops ask President and Congress to join global fight against AIDS

by James Solheim
jsolheim@episcopalchurch.org

     (ENS) As world leaders gathered for a special United Nations session on AIDS, over
117 bishops of the Episcopal Church addressed a strong plea to President George W. Bush
and members of Congress to support "the global fight against HIV and AIDS in the
poorest countries.

     "AIDS is now the number one cause of death in Africa, surpassing malaria, and
kills many more people than armed conflicts," the bishops pointed out in their letter
released today. "HIV and AIDS is not only a humanitarian disaster that challenges our
moral fiber, it poses serious economic and security threats to the region."

     Episcopalians have a special stake in the crisis, the letter observed, since "sub-
Saharan Africa is home to the largest and fastest growing population of Anglicans in
the world." Religious leaders in the area "have a role to play, helping to overcome the
stigma and cultural obstacles to effective HIV prevention and education, advocating
with their government leaders to act, and perhaps assisting in the distribution of
materials and medicine," the letter said.

     The church in the United States also has a role to play "through direct relief and
development resources, and through educating our congregations," the letter stated. "We
ask the U.S. government to do its part by taking bold action on this most critical
issue…. For us, there could be no more important faith-based partnership with the
government than one that begins to address the tragedy of HIV and AIDS in poor
countries."

Unmistakable message

     "I don't know another faith community that has received such a broad and powerful
response from its leadership around the country on HIV and AIDS," said Tom Hart,
director of the Episcopal Church's Washington Office on Government Relations who
coordinated the effort. "Responding to this pandemic seems to transcend our theological
differences in the church. I am encouraged that this letter will send an unmistakable
message to our political leaders that our church is stepping up to the plate to address
the AIDS issue in poor countries--and we are urging our government to do so as well."

     While it is difficult to estimate the costs of fighting the pandemic in Africa,
the letter from the bishops urged the United States to provide an annual contribution
of $2 billion, half for prevention and treatment and the other half for development and

infrastructure needs. "The United States has been the unquestioned leader in the
international response to AIDS," the letter notes. "For that we are grateful. We ask
the U.S. to continue this leadership with a strong financial commitment to combat the
pandemic."

     The letter tied the fight against HIV and AIDS to the debt issue, urging the
President and Congress "to lead the World Bank and IMF to provide deeper debt
cancellation for the poorest countries" so they could use their precious resources for
critical development needs.

     "We may not be able to solve the entire problem today, but let us not be
discouraged from taking the steps necessary to begin the journey," the letter
concluded. "We simply cannot walk on the other side of the path in the face of such
suffering. A large international commitment, led by the United States, can stem this
humanitarian crisis."

     For further information contact Tom Hart at 202-489-7188.

--James Solheim is director of the Episcopal News Service.