From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

DELEGATES AFFIRM STATEMENT ON CONFLICT IN AMERICAN BAPTIST COMMUNITY

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2001 19:52:19 -0400

American Baptist News Service
Office of Communication / American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Richard W. Schramm, Director (E-mail: RICHARD.SCHRAMM@ABC-USA.ORG)

DELEGATES AFFIRM STATEMENT ON CONFLICT IN AMERICAN BAPTIST COMMUNITY

PROVIDENCE, RI (ABNS)&#8212;Delegates to the American Baptist Churches USA
Biennial Meeting here today voted to affirm a &#8220;Statement of Concern on
Conflict in Our American Baptist Community&#8221; that calls upon American
Baptists &#8220;to strive to maintain unity and participation in mission in
spite of our disagreements&#8230;.&#8221;  The statement also calls for the
denomination, its regions and its churches &#8220;to develop and utilize
resources for constructively addressing conflict in regions, associations
and churches.&#8221;

  The document, in part, reads:

&#8220;Baptist history in America is seasoned with experiences of
disagreement and dissent. For centuries, we have struggled over different
interpretations and applications of Scripture, as well as the implications
they have for mission and ministry....

&#8220;American Baptists historically have sought to work through disputes
while being faithful to the Bible and to our collective mission in
Christ&#8217;s name. Recognizing that there are many scriptural models for
responding to disagreements, we have handled them in a variety of ways over
time, ranging from reconciliation and reunification to outright schism and
separation. Throughout our experience with differing views, however, we have
tried to be faithful to two closely related principles. First, we believe in
the right of every congregation to exercise authority under God for its own
life and ministry. Second, we believe in the right of every congregation to
choose voluntarily whether or not to associate with other congregations....

&#8220;Our interdependence is based on our need and desire to fulfill
God&#8217;s mission. The fact that we are autonomous does not leave us
without responsibility. Similarly, our interdependence does not require us
to be uniform. The love of Christ, however, compels us to live in harmony
and humility and to strive to become the people that Christ wants us to
be....

&#8220;We need to deepen our relationships with each other, listen
thoughtfully and respectfully to each other, enter into dialogue for mutual
understanding and not simply to change the opinions of others, and seek to
become one in spirit through Christ....

&#8220;Therefore:

&#8220;We call on American Baptists to strive to maintain unity and
participation in mission in spite of our disagreements, differences, and
conflicts. We also recognize, with sober grief, that at times there may be
differences so great that after all efforts toward reconciliation have been
exhausted, conflict resolution may come through separation by mutual
agreement and with respect toward all parties.
&#8220;We call upon churches, associations, regions, and the ABC/USA to
communicate the nature of Baptist life within and outside our denomination,
specifically the autonomy of the local church and the voluntary association
of churches&#8230;.
&#8220;We encourage the ABC/USA, regions, and churches to develop and
utilize resources for constructively addressing conflict in regions,
associations, and churches.
&#8220;We call on the ABC/USA and regions to develop a team of individuals,
trained and experienced in conflict transformation, to be utilized by
American Baptists.&#8221;

DELEGATES ENCOURAGE &#8216;CHURCH PLANTING AND RENEWAL&#8217; IN BIENNIAL
MEETING STATEMENT

PROVIDENCE, RI (ABNS)&#8212;Delegates to the American Baptist Churches USA
Biennial Meeting here today voted to affirm a &#8220;Statement of Concern on
Church Planting and Renewal&#8221; that calls on &#8220;American Baptist
congregations to accept the challenge of planting a new church or becoming a
partner with other congregations to start a new church.&#8221;

The statement, in part, notes:

&#8220;...The American Baptist Churches/USA, under the guidance of the Holy
Spirit, has adopted the goal of planting 1,010 new congregations by the end
of 2010. This is both a worthy and ambitious objective. In order to achieve
this goal, new church planting must be a priority of every American Baptist
congregation, not just a few. We hope and expect that existing churches will
experience renewal as they work together in planting these churches....

&#8220;At the same time, our current models of church planting must expand
and evolve. Changes in society incurred through population shifts and the
introduction of new immigrant groups require us to find and train new church
planters who can respond effectively to the realities of the unchurched and
to help bring about transformation in their lives. To meet the goal of
discipling all people, we are challenged to plant churches that are
ethnically and economically diverse, as well as those that have different
worship and organizational styles, suitable to the needs and interests of
the congregation that gathers.

&#8220;We realize that in order to start these new churches, each ABC/USA
region will need to form its own church planting goals and strategies.
Likewise, established churches will need to strategically determine their
level of support for new church starts through financial and human
resources, along with logistical, structural, and ongoing spiritual support.
Furthermore, money must be allocated on a regional and national level to
help in this effort. Finally, we must attempt to use all the people God
calls for this ministry, including both seminary and non-seminary trained
pastors.

&#8220;While we start new churches, American Baptists must also support our
existing churches with resources for revitalization&#8230;. Developing
healthy churches in the ABC/USA is the objective, whether the congregations
are small or large....

&#8220;Therefore, out of a desire to share the love of Christ:

&#8220;We call on American Baptist congregations to accept the challenge of
planting a new church or becoming a partner with other congregations to
start a new church.
&#8220;We urge our existing churches to open their doors to provide space
for a new church start.
&#8220;We call on the ABC/USA, regions, and local churches to provide
funding for new churches and for renewal efforts in established churches.
&#8220;We encourage our associations, regions, and the ABC/USA to recognize,
respect, and appreciate the culture, language, and customs of constituent
churches in a desire to share the love of Christ with all people.
&#8220;We encourage American Baptists to become knowledgeable and supportive
of the program initiatives for NEW LIFE 2010 proposed by National
Ministries, Educational Ministries, and International Ministries.&#8221;