From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABC EDUCATIONAL AND NATIONAL MINISTRIES BOARDS MEET IN JOINT SESSION

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2001 20:08:41 -0400

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS SERVICE
Office of Communication
American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Web: www.abc-usa.org
Richard W. Schramm, Director
E-mail: richard.schramm@abc-usa.org

GENERAL BOARD UPDATE: June 20, 2001

EDUCATIONAL AND NATIONAL MINISTRIES BOARDS MEET IN JOINT SESSION
by Laura Alden and Virginia Holmstrom

PROVIDENCE, RI--At semiannual meetings here members of the American Baptist
Boards of Educational Ministries and National Ministries met together for a
joint session to consider next steps in working more closely together as
programs boards engaged in mission and ministries in the United States and
Puerto Rico. The members assessed data that had been previously gathered
from surveys of staff and board members of the two missions organizations
and other American Baptist Churches USA partners.

Dr. Susan B. Wheelan, consultant from GDQ Associates, Inc., facilitated the
joint session and invited feedback from table groups comprised of members
from both boards.

William B. Apel, president of the Board of Educational Ministries, said he
was encouraged by the session. "I appreciated the very positive expressions
I heard from members of BEM and BNM," he said. "I fully expect these
conversations to continue, and I am looking forward to the process ahead of
us."

Vernell Neeley, president of the Board of National Ministries, expressed a
sense of God's leading during the meeting. "We do not know exactly what the
results of our discussion will be," she said, "but God is blessing this
process. It feels good to be talking with one another and seeking God's will
together."

Board and staff discussions will continue in the coming months.

BOARD OF EDUCATIONAL MINISTRIES AFFIRMS DISCIPLE-MAKING VISION
by Eleanor P. Lundy, American Baptist Educational Ministries

PROVIDENCE, RI--At its semiannual meetings here the Board of Educational
Ministries took unanimous action to reaffirm the disciple-making vision of
Educational Ministries and to form a working group to discern future
directions. The working group will evaluate program and publishing
structures to determine effective ways to reshape these ministries. The
group will discern and identify the qualities of "disciple-making" American
Baptist congregations and evaluate how the board can best meet the needs of
those congregations; and address both short-term and longterm solutions for
funding Educational Ministries' mission. Board and staff will also continue
discussions regarding ministry partnerships with National Ministries and
other American Baptist entities.

The board's deliberations came amid what some termed "break" financial
realities, including the lack of an adequate endowment and declining mission
giving. Considering challenges and opportunities, the board strongly
advocated the need to include discipleship and education ministries in any
future denomination-wide capital fundraising campaign. They also explored a
variety of scenarios describing basic business plans that may provide viable
short-term ministry options for Educational Ministries.

"This is an exciting, troubling, and challenging time for Educational
Ministries," said Board President William Apel of McMinnville, Ore. "We
stand at the crossroads, and God is accompanying us on our journey. Without
ministries of discipleship and education we cannot grow in numbers or in
depth as a people of God. God wants resurrection life for us, if only we
have eyes to see and ears to hear. Now is the auspicious moment!" Apel cited
mentors who had encouraged his own spiritual growth. Referring to the
writings of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Apel said, "When Jesus met the disciples by
the lakeshore, he did not say, 'believe in me,' nor did he say 'worship me';
instead, he said 'follow me.' We are about helping congregations to follow
Jesus," he declared.

Apel declared that since 1824 the ongoing work of Educational Ministries has
been solidly grounded in the past, but not tied to the past. "How best
to extend and fulfill that historic commitment is a question for serious
consideration by our board, staff, and the entire American Baptist family,"
he said. "We are beyond readjustments; we must think in new ways to see the
new thing God is bringing forth." Melva Gray of Indianapolis, Ind., finance
committee chair, reiterated that Educational Ministries' concerns are "not a
ministry problem, but an income problem."

The board affirmed a case statement, presented by its Executive Committee,
describing Educational Ministries' vision for ministries of discipleship and
Christian education and the critical need for financial support.

Dr. Jean B. Kim, executive director, expressed the hope that the board would
envision a "framework of abundance" for future ministries in spite of
obvious financial challenges. "God has the resources, and God has a future
of hope for these ministries," Kim said, citing biblical verses from
Jeremiah and Ephesians. "God is able to do far more than we can ask or
think. We must focus on mission and ministry-and on the important leadership
role that Educational Ministries plays in bringing new life to this
denomination. In fact, discipleship is what transforms congregations."

The Executive Committee strongly affirmed that Educational Ministries'
financial concerns are a "family issue." The committee has spearheaded a
variety of initiatives that include  denominational partners in addressing
these concerns, including ongoing conversations with ABC National
Ministries' board and staff. The committee also has appealed to ABC partners
for short-term funding to support its ministries.
"Ministry with and through congregations must remain our standard for
evaluating all that we do," said board member, the Rev. Edward Libby of
Rockford, Ill. "We are the servant arm of local churches, and we need to
keep in mind the difference our ministries make in Oregon, Ohio, Rhode
Island, and beyond," he said.

Other business included a board and staff dinner featuring speaker Rev. Paul
M. Hanson, pastor of United Baptist Church, The John Clarke Memorial,
Newport, R.I. Hanson highlighted Baptist roots through a presentation of the
life and importance of John Clarke, a contemporary of Roger Williams who
pastored the Newport congregation and endured persecution for his Baptist
convictions. The board also shared in a time of corporate worship and
prayer, recognizing the central importance of God's activity in its
deliberations.

THREE NEW AMERICAN BAPTIST MISSIONARIES COMMISSIONED
by Laura Alden, National Ministries

PROVIDENCE, RI-Meeting in semiannual session here the Board of National
Ministries, American Baptist Churches USA, commissioned three new
missionaries for service in the U.S. and Puerto Rico.

Commissioned were Carole L. Dieciedue, director of Volunteers In Mission and
administrator of the Volunteer Skills Network for National Ministries;
Fran Homer, associate director of Communication; and the Rev. Julio B.
Laporte, coordinator of Haitian Ministries for National Ministries.
In a charge to the missionaries Dr. Aidsand F. Wright-Riggins III, executive
director of National Ministries, noted that the "task of
missionaries is to know Christ and to make him known." Referring to the
biblical story of Samuel and Eli (I Samuel 3), he added, "Your call is about
being faithful to the voice calling you in the night, and responding,
'Speak, Lord, for thy servant heareth.'"

In a charge to the board the Rev. Susan S. Maybeck, vice president of the
Board of National Ministries, pointed out that traveling with Jesus were
women who supported him and his disciples (Luke 8). "So do we in National
Ministries need to provide support for our missionaries . . . generous
financial support, open and welcoming emotional support, and unceasing
prayer support."
Sharing his personal testimony Laporte said he was "grateful to God to be
used at this stage of my life." He likened himself to a "blank page, waiting
to be filled. Here I am, Lord. Use me."
National Ministries missionaries number more than a thousand and are new
church planters, chaplains and pastoral counselors, and missionary staff
serving in a variety of mission sites and settings.

PRAYER REQUESTED FOR BURMESE ASYLUM-SEEKERS
by Laura Alden, National Ministries

PROVIDENCE, RI-In a meeting here of the Board of Directors of National
Ministries, American Baptist Churches USA, church members were asked to pray
for Burmese Baptist sisters and brothers seeking asylum in the U.S.

According to a report given by Dr. Aidsand F. Wright-Riggins III, executive
director of National Ministries, a large number of Burmese Chin and a
smaller number of Burmese Kachin and Chinese have fled their homeland to
escape the religious, political and ethnic persecution by the military
regime in Myanmar (Burma). Nearly 1,000 asylum seekers are being held in a
detention facility on Guam by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization
Service (INS) while their asylum claims are being processed.
When Church World Service's Immigration and Refugee Services Program, a
partner organization of National Ministries, learned about their plight,
attorneys and law school students were sent to Guam to help process the
asylum claims of the Burmese. Earlier this month two flights from Guam
brought close to 100 Burmese to various locations in the U.S. As additional
claims are processed and approved many more of the asylum seekers will
arrive in the coming months.
National Ministries, through its Office of Immigration and Refugee Services,
has provided three American Baptist-related churches with funds to assist
recent and expected arrivals from Guam. A group of Chin Baptists have
relocated to both Silver Spring, Md., and Battle Creek, Mich.
Wright-Riggins called for prayer for the delegation continuing to assist the
Burmese with their asylum claims on Guam, for churches in the U.S. helping
the new arrivals and for the Burmese people who are seeking safe haven.

National Ministries recently has made a commitment to raise awareness about
the treatment of asylum seekers who often are treated as prisoners. In fact
prison facilities are used regularly by INS to hold asylum seekers whose
claims are in process. For more information about advocacy work on behalf of
asylum-seekers contact Ken George, Office of Immigration and Refugee
Services, National Ministries (1-800-ABC-3USA, ext. 2034) or visit
www.nationalministries.org.

WRIGHT-RIGGINS CALLS FOR 'EXPECTATION OF MIRACLES' IN NEW LIFE 2010 AND
OTHER MINISTRIES AND CHALLENGES

PROVIDENCE, RI-In his report to the American Baptist Board of National
Ministries June 19 National Ministries Executive Director Dr. Aidsand F.
Wright-Riggins III expressed gratitude for the vision and programs that are
characterizing the denominational emphasis NEW LIFE 2010.

That emphasis, which calls for 1,010 new churches, 1,000,010 new believers
and the revitalization of existing ministries within American Baptist
Churches USA, is "a vision that God literally dropped on us, one that has
begun to
transform our denomination in powerful, powerful ways." Wright-Riggins said
he had faith that as the 10-year initiative unfolds "God will speak to
us to give us a direction."

Including NEW LIFE 2010 in a list of major endeavors requiring "an
expectation of miracles," Wright-Riggins noted other areas that presented
opportunities for prayer and support.

He recounted ongoing dialog with Educational Ministries focused on ways that
the two boards can work together more closely. Wright-Riggins said that EM's
current financial concerns should be looked upon "not merely as financial
challenges" but rather as a situation that has presented "a tremendous
mission  opportunity." "Our responsibility as American Baptists is to yoke
ourselves with Educational Ministries to strengthen ministries of
discipleship and education," he maintained.

Wright-Riggins said he expects "something good and positive" from the work
of the study group that has been empowered to consider the recommendations
from the Study Commission on Denominational Structure and Process. He hoped
the study group's work would "produce a denomination that can facilitate new
life in Christ and good stewardship."

Wright-Riggins also said he had faith that the ongoing negotiations to
implement a new denomination-wide budget covenant would produce a system
"that provides resources which allow mission and ministry to happen"
effectively.
He noted with enthusiasm new National Ministries endeavors: the new American
Baptist Volunteer Skills Network, to be launched officially at the Biennial
Meeting here this week, which offers a searchable database that registers
and reports the skills of participating American Baptists for local
churches, regions and national Organizations seeking volunteers; the
"Churches and Charitable Choice" resource packet designed to help American
Baptists consider the opportunities and dangers inherent in charitable
choice (available at www.nationalministries.org or
1-800-ABC-3USA/x2394); and the 30 congregations in seven clusters that are
participating in the pilot year of "Rekindle!", the NEW LIFE 2010 course in
renewal being offered via videoconferencing technology.

The board also viewed a video documentary about New Life Youth Media, a NEW
LIFE 2010 project to teach digital storytelling skills to youth for their
own empowerment and also for the promotion of NEW LIFE 2010. The
experimental project has been piloted at Curtis Park Community Center in
Denver, Colo.

CHURCHES RECOGNIZED FOR AMERICA FOR CHRIST MISSION SUPPORT BY BOARDS OF
EDUCATIONAL AND NATIONAL MINISTRIES
by Fran Homer and Virginia Holmstrom

PROVIDENCE, RI--During semiannual meetings here the American Baptist Boards
of Educational Ministries and National Ministries recognized significant
America for Christ contributions in 2000 by churches which have members
serving on the boards.

The Board of Educational Ministries recognized the following congregations:
* Largest overall giving-First Baptist Church of Indianapolis, Ind., board
member Melva Gray
* Largest percentage increase over the previous year-Second Baptist Church
of Detroit, Mich., board member Evelyn Hillman
* Largest per capita giving-Clifton Park Center Baptist Church of Clifton
Park, N.Y., board member Marie Schilling

The Board of National Ministries recognized the following congregations:
* Largest overall giving, largest per capita giving, and largest increase
from previous year-Hillside Church of Corte Madera, Calif., board member
G.Prince Altom
* Second largest overall giving-First Chinese Baptist Church of San
Francisco, Calif., board member Joy Shih Ng
* Third largest overall giving-First Baptist Church of Great Falls, Mont.,
board members John Duckworth and Cody Pollington

The annual America for Christ Offering supports American Baptist mission in
the United States and Puerto Rico and undergirds ministries of discipleship
and education and the work of the boards toward the denomination's NEW LIFE
2010 vision. NEW LIFE 2010's goals are to reach 1,000,010 new Christians,
plant 1,010 new churches, reach out in a multitude of caring ministries, and
thus transform member congregations by the year 2010.

In 2001 the America for Christ Offering notes 50 years of American Baptist
mission support. In celebration, congregations have been encouraged to
consider a 50 percent increase over their 2000 America for Christ
contribution. For more information about the mission supported by the
America for Christ Offering, visit www.abc-em.org and
www.nationalministries.org/mission/2001america.cfm