From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Treasurer Announces He Will Not Seek a Third Term

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 6 Jul 2001 10:52:17 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 6, 2001

ELCA TREASURER ANNOUNCES HE WILL NOT SEEK A THIRD TERM
01-182-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Richard L. McAuliffe, treasurer for the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), announced he will not
seek a third term when his present term expires later this year.
McAuliffe, 66, has been serving as ELCA treasurer since 1992.
       The ELCA Department for Human Resources announced July 1 an
opening for the ELCA treasurer.  The treasurer, who serves as the
chief financial officer for the ELCA churchwide organization, is
elected to a six-year term by the ELCA Church Council.  Following
election by the council, the new treasurer is expected to assume the
role Feb. 1, 2002.
     During McAuliffe's service as treasurer, the ELCA churchwide
current operating fund budget rose from $77 million annually to a
proposed $87 million for 2002.
     "I have enjoyed my tenure as treasurer of the ELCA, and I
appreciate the trust that the church has placed in me," McAuliffe
said. "I'm looking forward to new challenges in the future."
     McAuliffe, who was born in Chicago, earned a bachelor's degree
from Carleton College, Northfield, Minn.  He earned a master's
degree in business administration from the Harvard University
Business School, Boston.
     After completing his degree at the Harvard Business School,
McAuliffe joined the Chicago-based Harris Bankcorp in 1960.  He
became executive vice president and chief financial officer there, a
position held for seven years before retiring in 1990.  Before he was
ELCA treasurer, McAuliffe was managing agent with the Resolution
Trust Corporation.
     He has served on the ELCA Church Council, and served on the
boards for Christ Seminary-Seminex, Lutheran General (now Advocate)
Health System, Christian Century Foundation and Gerber Products Co.
McAuliffe was also a member of the board of trustees for Carleton
College.
     McAuliffe and his wife, Janet, are the parents of two grown
children.  He is a member of Grace Lutheran Church, an ELCA
congregation in Glen Ellyn, Ill.
     McAuliffe is among several key ELCA churchwide leaders who
announced they will soon retire or leave their positions.  Leaving
the churchwide organization Oct. 31 this year will be the Rev. H.
George Anderson, presiding bishop; the Rev. Robert N. Bacher,
executive for administration and executive assistant to the presiding
bishop; and the Rev. Daniel F. Martensen, director of the ELCA
Department for Ecumenical Affairs and assistant to the presiding
bishop.
     A new presiding bishop will be elected at the churchwide
assembly Aug. 8-14 in Indianapolis.  The Department for Human
Resources previously announced an opening for the executive for
administration position.

For information contact: