From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Text of Carey's letter to archbishops of Rwanda and South East Asia

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Mon, 9 Jul 2001 14:52:00 -0400 (EDT)

2001-151

June 19, 2001

Text of Carey's letter to archbishops of Rwanda and South East Asia

The Most Revd Emmanuel Mbona Kolini
Archbishop of Rwanda & Bishop of Kigali
and The Most Revd Datuk Ping Chung Yong
Archbishop of South East Asia & Bishop of Sabah
Dear Archbishop Kolini and Archbishop Yong

I have received further confirmation today, that you intend to consecrate
four bishops in Denver on Sunday June 24th.

This news burdens and dismays me. You know that I have my own concerns
about those bishops who are unwilling to adhere to the Lambeth resolutions -
indeed, all the resolutions - and you know of the way I have persevered in drawing
attention to the importance of fidelity to the faith of the Church, both in doctrine
and behaviour. But I also have the greatest concern to see that all we who are
called to Primacy in this historic Communion do everything in our power to
strengthen our communion with one another.

What you are proposing to do cannot strengthen, but can only undermine,
that communion. All this coming after the very strong commitment to the
unity of the Primates at Oporto and Kanuga! There, we committed
ourselves not to take action without proper consultation and serious
consideration of the effects of further consecrations. All that seems to
have been sadly and, perhaps, somewhat conveniently ignored. I simply
cannot believe this is in conformity with the way Christ would want us to behave.

It is not right to trespass upon the ministry Our Lord, the Chief Shepherd,
has committed to others. I cannot agree that you have no alternative but to
take this further irregular step, in order to "contend for the faith once delivered
to the saints", as you assert. Let me make no bones about it. I regard last year's
consecrations in Singapore as at best, highly irregular and at worst, simply
chismatic. I have made my position in relation to them transparently clear -
but, in case there remains any doubt, let me repeat: I cannot recognise John
Rodgers and Chuck Murphy as bishops in communion with me unless they
are fully reconciled to the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church.

The step you are now proposing to take compounds the problem created
then. As bishops and primates in our Communion, you are yourselves men
under authority. You may act lawfully only within the authority which is given
to you. I gave no authority to the Province of South East Asia in 1996, to
consecrate bishops for service elsewhere in the
/....
/2
world; neither has the Province of Rwanda any authority over Anglicans outside
its own Province. You have never given me any satisfactory answer to the
question of the authority by which you claim to act. How am I to regard those
who act without lawful authority?

What you propose to do is in blatant disregard of our Anglican ecclesiology.
Even as primus inter pares of the Anglican Communion, I would not regard
myself as having power to intervene in the way you are trying to do, in Provinces
in which I have no lawful authority. It takes only a moment's reflection to imagine
your reaction if I, or any of the other Primates of our Communion, were to
presume to intervene in either of your two Provinces. Consider what confusion
it would bring and what a scandal to our Communion!

I consider that the step you are proposing seriously compromises your
commitment to the unity we as Primates sought and found at Kanuga only three
months ago. I cannot support you if you persist in taking this action: to do so would
undermine my own integrity as the leader of an ordered Communion. If your action
has the support of the bishops and synods of your two Provinces, that raises still
more troubling issues for our Communion, of a sort that I have no wish to contemplate.

However, I wonder if you as Primates do have the backing of your House of
Bishops and your General Synod in the damaging action you are proposing to take?
Are you and your Province aware that action of this kind takes you perilously close
to creating a new group of churches at odds with the See of Canterbury and the
rest of the Communion? I personally would regret this so very much as I have had
the closest of dealings with Rwanda through all the troubles and the church there is
still very much close to my heart! South East Asia, also, is a Province that I greatly
love and would hope to visit again. My visit showed me how eager you were to
strengthen your contribution to the Communion when with great joy I shared in
that service which made you a Province.

I urge you both to think again. Even at this late stage, it is not too late for you to
draw back from a step which can only do lasting damage. I note that the day you
are intending to take this irrevocable action is the Birth of St John Baptist in the
English calendar. John the Baptist saw his ministry as uplifting Christ. 'I am not worthy
to untie his laces' he said. Such humility is so Christ centred. I ask you to consider that
you may be wrong and I pray that you may have the humility and grace to move back
from a step which would carry such dangers for our united witness to the world.

I know you will find this letter painful to read; it grieves me to have to write in these
terms. But I want you to know that it comes with my love and warm greetings in Christ.