From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: BOARD AFFIRMS 'DISCIPLESHIP AND EDUCATION'

From RICH.SCHRAMM@ecunet.org
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2001 09:19:23 -0400 (EDT)

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS SERVICE
Office of Communication
American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Web: www.abc-usa.org
Richard W. Schramm, Director
 E-mail: richard.schramm@abc-usa.org

`DISCIPLESHIP AND EDUCATION' ARE VITAL
COMPONENTS OF MISSION,
AMERICAN BAPTIST GENERAL BOARD NOTES IN
STATEMENT OF AFFIRMATION
  The General Board of American Baptist Churches
USA, at its semiannual meeting last month in Providence,
R.I., issued a statement, "Discipleship and Education: An
ABC Family Matter," which "reaffirm(s) our historic
commitment to ministries of discipleship and education in
our local churches, regions, institutions and national
organizations."
 The statement notes:
 "We believe that discipleship and education are
vital components of evangelism, which is a fundamental
part of our calling to fulfill Christ's Great Commission.  We
believe that discipleship and education are critical in
calling and training faithful ministerial leadership for the
21st Century.  The future of ABC leaders and ministries
will be directly dependent on the vitality of our discipleship
and educational ministries today.
 "Recognizing that American Baptist Educational
Ministries faces a significant annual budget deficit and
lacks a major source of endowment funding to adequately
sustain ministries of discipleship and education, we call on
and affirm the response of other American Baptist
organizations (including the Board of International
Ministries, the Ministers and Missionaries Benefit Board,
and the Board of National Ministries) as they answer God's
call to this challenging opportunity by:
 1.  Joining with American Baptist regions,
congregations, and individuals in praying for God's
guidance and intervention in ensuring the vitality of ABC
ministries of discipleship and education;
 2.   Sacrificially giving financial resources to
support Educational Ministries in the short term;
 3.   Engaging in cooperative efforts with regions
and congregations to identify long-term organizational and
funding solutions to advance vital ministries of discipleship
and education in our denomination;
 4.  Supporting the implementation of long-term
solutions to these challenges."

WFN713A.TXT

 -0-