From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Archbishop Concessao asks Christians to pray for the success of

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2001 13:29:28 -0700

Indo-Pak Summit

New Delhi, 13 July 2001

"I urge you to turn our anxiety to the Lord and pray fervently for a
positive result of the summit", said Archbishop Vincent Concessao of
Delhi in his letter today to all the Christians of the Capital and the
area falling under his religious jurisdiction.

In an interview to a private tv channel on the issue of the Agra summit,
the Archbishop said, "our common enemy is poverty, illiteracy and
corruption and we must work together to fight these evils in both the
countries".

Reminding his flock about the forthcoming summit in Agra between the
Indian Prime Minister Mr. Atal Bihari Vajpayee and the Pakistan
President General Pervez Musharraf he said, "most people, especially the
common people on both sides of the border, are very anxious about the
outcome of the summit. I urge you to turn our anxiety to the Lord and
pray fervently for a positive result of the summit. It is our firm
belief that Lord God in His mercy and kindness intends the wellbeing of
all human beings regardless of their political, geographical and
religious leanings. Let us entrust the two leaders to the hands of God
Almighty so that He can steer the meeting to a fruitful conclusion".

Archbishop Concessao will himself be presiding over a Holy Mass on
Sunday 15th July at St. Vincent de Paul Church in Jehangirpuri on the
outskirts of Delhi at 8.30 a.m., during which he will offer special
prayers for the successful outcome of the summit.

Issued by Rev. Dr. Dominic Emmanuel svd
Director of Communication/Information Bureau
Contact person: Dominic Emmanuel svd
e-mail: dominic1@vsnl.com
0091 11 3363214; 3369582