From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Laymen's League president urges witness Christ to world

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:20:32 -0700

The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
Board for Communication Services
1333 S. Kirkwood Road St. Louis, MO 63122-7295

News Release

61st Regular Convention St. Louis, Mo. July 14-20, 2001

July 17, 2001 #19

Contact: Bruce Kueck (314) 342-5715

Lutheran Laymen s League president urges delegates to witness Christ to world

ST. LOUIS -- In his greeting to the 61st Regular Convention of The Lutheran
Church Missouri Synod, International Lutheran Laymen s League President
Alvin Waldron urged those attending to go beyond what they do in the
convention by witnessing to the truth and Good News of Jesus.

Waldron made his remarks on the third day of business as convention
delegates gathered at the America s Center in downtown St. Louis. The
convention continues through July 20.

"What are you going to do? No, I really mean it. What are you really going
to do after this convention?" asked Waldron.

"Gathering as God s people can be challenging and uplifting," he said.
"Much goes on at a convention, behind the scenes, on the floor, even
sharing ideas in the halls. But, when the closing moments have passed, the
question remains, What are you going to do? " he asked.

Waldron reminded convention attendees of the experience of Peter and the
other apostles as "the Holy Spirit gave them utterance to share the Good
News of Christ crucified." In Acts 2:32, Peter stood tall and said, "This
Jesus, God raised up, and of that we are all witnesses," quoted Waldren.

"These are the marching orders for every one of us beyond this convention &
and every day we spend here on earth," he said, adding, "These are the
marching orders as we find new ways to meet and reach others, wherever we
are and wherever they are."

He also said that all members of The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod need to
be witnesses to the risen Savior.

The International Lutheran Laymen s League (Int l. LLL) and those involved
with Lutheran Hour Ministries (LHM), the outreach ministry of the Int l
LLL, have supporters who are "dedicated to bringing Christ to the nations
and the nations to the church," Waldron explained.

The new Int l LLL world headquarters, located in suburban St. Louis, has
been a "blessing" in allowing for advancement and growth in the fast-paced
electronic age, said Waldron.

Waldron asked those attending the convention to join the ranks of witnesses
from the Int l. LLL as they support the church in word and deed, and "pray
for the continued advance of the Gospel to the far ends of the world."

He told those in attendance that the Int l. LLL, through Lutheran Hour
Ministries, stands by "every congregation in this great church body as we
march forward with the Good News that saves."

"Go home, share the Word of God, let others know about & Jesus" concluded
Waldron.

PHOTOGRAPHS: Photos of convention coverage are available at
www.lcms.org/convention/