From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Essayist tells LCMS early church should guide Christian relationships

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:30:54 -0700

The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
Board for Communication Services
1333 S. Kirkwood Road St. Louis, MO 63122-7295

News Release

61st Regular Convention St. Louis, Mo. July 14-20, 2001

July 16, 2001 #9

Contact: Bruce Kueck (314) 342-5715

Essayist tells LCMS convention delegates early church should guide
Christian relationships

ST. LOUIS -- The early Christian Church and early Christian churches are
guides for how The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod should relate to other
Christians today, the Rev. Dr. Jeffrey A. Gibbs, associate professor of
exegetical theology, Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, told the Synod s 61st
Regular Convention.

Gibbs presented on the second day of the convention, Monday, July 16, an
essay titled "Church Fellowship in the New Testament."

"There is but one church on earth," said Gibbs. "More often, however,
church in the New Testament refers to groups of Christians in a particular
place."

Early Christian churches were interested in maintaining fellowship with
each other, he said. Fellowship implied they were in mission together and
that they were in agreement in "all truth."

"In the New Testament, the one body, the Church and the many churches have
the same goal unity in love and in teaching the faith," said Gibbs. "When
there was disagreement, the New Testament churches came together until
there was unity," he said.

"But what happens when error persists?" Gibbs continued. He gave three
examples of errors:
an assertion in the Catechism of the Catholic Church that "we can then
merit for ourselves and for others the graces needed for our sanctification,"

the belief held by some "other non-Roman churches in the West" that the
Eucharistic bread and wine are only symbols of Christ s body and blood,

and that some Christians do not hold the Scriptures as "God s infallible
and inspired and inerrant word."

"The New Testament churches sought unity in teaching, unity in matters that
pertain to the Gospel. Our current, tragic situation is torn with disunity
among the churches," said Gibbs. When churches say they are in fellowship
together, in spite of that disunity, they are either giving the "unhealthy"
impression that disagreements are minor or nonexistent, he said.

Disagreement is all the more reason for the Missouri Synod to engage in
theological dialogue with other Christian churches, said Gibbs. "If we have
the truth by the grace of God, we cannot but share it with fellow
Christians," he said. "The Church s Lord does not give us the option of
being aloof and stand-offish."

The Rev. Scott R. Murray, Ph.D., Memorial Lutheran Church, Houston,
responded to the essay. Individual Christians may agree, but they are not
in fellowship if they are members of churches that hold different
confessions of the faith, he said.

"There can be no deciding who is a believer and who is not," said Murray.
"Only God knows the faith of the heart."

"Christians can only perceive and deal with the public profession of
faith," he said. "We would be unfaithful and untruthful to practice in such
a way that denies such an obvious fact. Going your own way is not an option."

The convention continues here through Friday, July 20. Five theologians
will present essays during the convention; Gibbs essay was first.

PHOTOGRAPHS: Photos of convention coverage are available at
www.lcms.org/convention/