From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Principal Receives National Distinguished Principals Award

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2001 12:27:34 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 18, 2001

ELCA PRINCIPAL RECEIVES NATIONAL DISTINGUISHED PRINCIPALS AWARD
00-194-MM*

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Barbara M. Clark, principal for St. Mark's
Lutheran School, Hacienda Heights, Calif., was honored by the U.S.
Department of Education and the National Association of Elementary
School Principals as recipient of a 2001 National Distinguished
Principals Award.  She will be honored at an awards banquet October 19
in Washington, D.C.  St. Mark's Lutheran School is an elementary school
of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
     "I believe that the most important leadership role that I assume
is my responsibility to be an advocate for children," said Clark in her
nomination form.  "I am a staunch believer in leading by example.  Our
school administrators are also teachers.  I teach 8th grade American
history.  Spending time daily in the classroom builds solidarity with
the faculty and provides me with firsthand knowledge of the skills,
interest and character of the young people who will soon be called St.
Mark's graduates."
     Clark has been principal for St. Mark's Lutheran School since
1986.  From 1983 to 1986 she was a teacher and a coach there.  Clark has
been a member of St. Mark's Lutheran Church, Hacienda Heights, for 15
years.
     She earned a bachelor of arts degree in history and political
science from Iowa Wesleyan College, Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, in 1981. Clark
earned a master of arts degree in organizational management from the
University of Phoenix, Southern California campus, Diamond Bar Learning
Center, Diamond Bar, Calif., in May 2001.
     "I feel honored to be a 2001 National Distinguished Principal.  It
is an award that I believe reflects the hard work, dedication and
enthusiasm that all of our faculty and staff members bring with them to
St. Mark's each day," said Clark.  "I am grateful that I work in an
environment where the congregation, pastor, school parents and the day
school committee are strongly committed to education and what is best
for young people."
     "Ms. Clark is well-known in the educational community for her
strong advocacy of an effective education program for all children,"
said Carolyn T. Coffey, principal, Christ Lutheran School, West Covina,
Calif, and recipient of a National Distinguished Principals award last
year.
     "She spends many hours both on and off campus researching and
working with the staff, pastors and school board, developing programs
and techniques to enable the staff, students and parents to have a clear
understanding of the school's mission," Coffey said.
     The U.S. Department of Education's National Distinguished
Principals Program was established in 1984 as an annual event to honor
elementary and middle school principals.  The program is also sponsored
by the National Association of Elementary School Principals in
partnership with the Variable Annuity Life Insurance Company, Lincoln,
Neb.
     One principal is chosen annually from each of the 50 states, the
District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
-- -- --
*Michelle T. Mills is a senior at Bradley University, Peoria, Ill.  This
summer she is an intern with ELCA News & Information.

For information contact: