From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

LCMS President Criticizes Leaders of Jesus First and Daystar

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:52:45 -0700

  Title: LCMS President Criticizes Leaders of Jesus First and Daystar

The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
Board for Communication Services
1333 S. Kirkwood Road St. Louis, MO 63122-7295

61st Regular Convention St. Louis, Mo. July 14-20, 2001

July 18, 2001 #21

Contact: Bruce Kueck (314) 342-5715

LCMS President Criticizes Leaders of Jesus First and Daystar

Respond to Kuhn comments

ST. LOUIS The leaders of two organizations that they say were singled out
Sunday for criticism by the president of The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod
say they were "disappointed" and "saddened" by his comments.

In his report to the Synod s triennial convention Sunday, LCMS President
Robert T. Kuhn told delegates that "it truly hurts me that in our Synod in
the past several years, there have arisen groups that claim to put Jesus
first, or that they are trying to shine like stars, when it is obvious they
are attempting to advance an old liberal theology and practice &."

Leaders of the two organizations, known as "Jesus First" and as
"DayStar.Net," said in separate interviews Tuesday, July 17, that they
understood Kuhn s comments to be directed at their organizations.

"Jesus First is not a left-wing group," said the Rev. Wayne Graumann,
pastor of Salem Lutheran Church in Tomball, Texas, and convention team
leader for Jesus First. "We are just common ordinary Missouri Synod
Lutherans who are trying to do God s work, led by His Spirit and with our
human frailties. We are certainly nothing to fear."

Graumann said that what Jesus First has sought for the Synod is
organizational health, the advancement of mission and a "forward-looking
agenda."

"It is surprising to us that we became left wing simply because we have
raised our voices to protest a system that we have seen as working in
unhealthy ways," Graumann said. "Our congregations work with trust and
empowerment, but we have seen the Synod acting another way. &

"The point we were trying to make is that the system has been agree or be
castigated, " Graumann continued. "Unhealthy systems always react that way."

The Rev. Dr. David Stein, senior pastor of Lutheran Church of the Holy
Spirit, Elk Grove Village, Ill., and president of DayStar.Net, said he was
"disappointed" by Kuhn s remarks.

"Although we are all imperfect as organizations, associations and groups of
the church, it was unfair for President Kuhn to single out DayStar and
Jesus First without reference to other publications," Stein said. "He was
not vindictive in his remarks, but I think it was inappropriate not to list
those on the so-called other side. "

Stein identified DayStar, which maintains a web site and e-mail
conferences, as "a group of people who began a conversation after the 1998
[Missouri Synod] convention to talk about the direction that the Synod is
going." He added that many of those in DayStar have been "out of the
conversation" in the Synod for many years, but now are saying that they
want to be part of it."

Kuhn said that he had not specifically named Jesus First and DayStar in his
report. The president said that what he said, he "said intentionally so as
not to pick up any particular name." He noted that he had also made
reference to "noisy minorities, both to the right and the left."

PHOTOGRAPHS: Photos of convention coverage are available at
www.lcms.org/convention/