From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA's Bishop Anderson calls for common witness by churches

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:32:37 -0700

The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
Board for Communication Services
1333 S. Kirkwood Road St. Louis, MO 63122-7295

61st Regular Convention St. Louis, Mo. July 14-20, 2001

July 19, 2001 #41

Contact: Bruce Kueck (314) 342-5715

ELCA's Bishop Anderson calls for common witness by churches

ST. LOUIS -- The Rev. H. George Anderson, presiding bishop of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), on Thursday, July 19, called
for a common witness among Lutherans when he brought greetings to the 61st
Regular Convention of The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod. The convention
is meeting here at the America s Center.

Anderson recalled past decades when Lutheran churches worked together
through the Lutheran Council in the U.S.A. He said he also recalled years
of separation between the church bodies.

"I want to take this opportunity to say to you in person that I deeply
regret the distance that has grown between us, and I realize that I one day
will have to answer to God for my own inadequate efforts to bridge that
gap," he said.

"I continue to hope that, in God s good time, we will be reconciled to one
another," said Anderson, making several Biblical references to brothers who
had reconciled after a period of separation. "There is hardly a more tragic
line in Scripture" than in the parable of the prodigal son, when the elder
brother "refused to call the younger brother, " he said.

"I pray that we will never reach the point where we cannot call one another
brothers and sisters, even though we do not yet live in the same house,"
said Anderson. "As long as we refer to one another in that way, we remind
ourselves that we share a common heritage and ought to bear a common witness."

Anderson plans to retire from active Lutheran ministry later this year. "I
am sorry that I am closing that ministry without seeing the separation of
thirty years ago healed. But I trust God, and I trust you and my own church
body to find a way," he said.

The ELCA has 5.13 million members, and the Missouri Synod has 2.6 million
members.