From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Former LCMS President Bohlmann encourages moving quickly in outreach

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:36:45 -0700

The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
Board for Communication Services
1333 S. Kirkwood Road St. Louis, MO 63122-7295

61st Regular Convention St. Louis, Mo. July 14-20, 2001

July 19, 2001 #43

Contact: Bruce Kueck (314) 342-5715

Former LCMS President Bohlmann encourages moving quickly in outreach

ST. LOUIS -- Former Lutheran Church Missouri Synod President Ralph A.
Bohlmann encouraged delegates at the 61st Regular Convention of the church
body to not "walk," but to move more quickly to spread the Word of God to
the world. The word "synod" means a "walking together."

The encouragement was given during Bohlmann s greetings, delivered here on
Thursday, July 19.

Bohlmann served as LCMS president of the 2.6 million member church body
from 1981 until 1992.

As fellow travelers in the "Missouri caravan," Bohlmann commented, "I cheer
you all on as you work together to find new and better ways to Tell the
Good News about Jesus, " the convention theme.

Many might want to leave things alone in the church, Bohlmann commented,
but our world is constantly changing. Bohlmann emphasized that "our
dependence on the Word of God dare not be tampered with or changed. And,
when that seems to be happening," he said, we should "conserve it, with all
of our might."

However, he added, we need to "move forward boldly and confidently in
carrying out the mission He has given us."

Bohlmann had a few words of encouragement to "all of us traveling together":
"We need to travel more quickly if we really want to tell everyone the Good
News about Jesus."

We need to travel together and do so for as long and as well as we can.
Much work remains to be done in order to accomplish the common mission in
bringing Christ to the nations, he said, adding, "For the sake of the
church and its mission, we need to work as hard at unity and love as we are
known to work at truth."

We should travel together confessionally. Bohlmann said he believes, "we
should recognize the Gospel of Jesus Christ as the center of our faith and
life and work."

Bohlmann received a standing ovation before and following his greeting the
convention.