From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

LWML on Mission for the Church Says Von Seggern

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:00:56 -0700

The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
Board for Communication Services
1333 S. Kirkwood Road St. Louis, MO 63122-7295

61st Regular Convention St. Louis, Mo. July 14-20, 2001

July 18, 2001 #30

Contact: Bruce Kueck (314) 342-5715

LWML on mission, for the church, says President Virginia Von Seggern

ST. LOUIS -- Lutheran Women s Missionary League (LWML) President Virginia
Von Seggern on Wednesday, July 18, addressed delegates to the 61st Regular
Convention of The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, saying that the 250,000
women of the LWML are "on a mission, for the church."

Von Seggern made her remarks at the America s Center in downtown St. Louis
where the church body is meeting through July 20.

Calling the LWML s members "Lutheran women in mission," Von Seggern said:

"Women were on a mission when told by an angel and by Jesus Himself to go
tell the disciples and others that Christ has risen from the tomb," she
said. "We re still on a mission, for the church!"

After reporting that the LWML has funded nearly $13 million in mission
projects and grants since its founding in 1942, Von Seggern described to
delegates the challenges the LWML will face "in the years to come."

It is time to identify and actively encourage Lutheran volunteers to join
the LWML, said Von Seggern.

"One of the biggest challenges," she said, "is that nothing will affect us
more than the number of declining churches and the number of pastors in The
Lutheran Church Missouri Synod."

Other challenges she mentioned were "the decreasing number and availability
of Lutheran volunteers" and "rising costs."

Von Seggern asked delegates for their support through contributions to
"mite boxes," a method of collecting contributions which the LWML has used
for many years.

"Mites may come from a variety of sources, including bequest gifts and
direct gifts of all sizes," she says. "A check is never too big for a mite
box." She told pastors that the "biggest gift" they can give to the LWML is
support. "We want it. We need it," she said.

"Sixty years ago you wondered if we could exist as a women s organization.
We did! We not only survived, we re getting better," said Von Seggern.