From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

LCMS Essayist: Fellowship practices vital to Great Commission

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:13:57 -0700

The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
Board for Communication Services
1333 S. Kirkwood Road St. Louis, MO 63122-7295

61st Regular Convention St. Louis, Mo. July 14-20, 2001

July 19, 2001 #27

Contact: Bruce Kueck (314) 342-5715

Essayist: Fellowship practices vital to Great Commission

ST. LOUIS -- A missions professor on Tuesday, July 17, told delegates to
the triennial convention of The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod that the
church body s fellowship practice is "vital to fulfilling the Great
Commission."

Dr. Carl Fickenscher II, assistant professor of pastoral ministry and
missions at Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne, Ind., delivered an
essay titled "Church Fellowship and Telling the Good News about Jesus."

The 61st Regular Convention of the Missouri Synod is meeting here through
Friday, July 20.

" Make disciples of all nations, & baptizing them, and teaching them to
observe all things, " Fickenscher said, quoting the Great Commission of
Jesus to His disciples, as written in Matthew 28. He said, " Teaching them
to observe all things is not an afterthought; it s the Great Commission. It
s cutting-edge evangelism."

Fickenscher said he believes "that our own Synod s failure to appreciate
the unique treasure of doctrine is the greatest hindrance to evangelism
that we are struggling to overcome right now. Conversely, really
appreciating our doctrine once again may very well be the key for becoming
a powerful tool for God for fulfilling the Great Commission in the future."

In his response to Fickenscher s essay, the Rev. David A. Shadday of
Indianapolis urged, "In our practice of fellowship, the church should
sacrifice to minister grace to visitors. The church should find loving ways
to seek out visitors and minister to them, not have them seek us out."

Shadday suggested, for example, that congregations might have brochures for
visitors that explain the service and the reason for the Synod s position
on who may commune in its congregations. Or, members who bring visitors but
don t want to leave them in the pew while going for communion might want to
stay in the pew and take communion at another service.