From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Anglican Church of Australia furthers talks with Lutherans

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Sat, 28 Jul 2001 09:18:02 -0700

ACNS 2557 - AUSTRALIA - 27 July 2001

Anglican Church furthers talks with Lutherans

The Anglican Church of Australia has taken a significant step towards
working more closely with the Lutheran Church.

The 12th General Synod of the Anglican Church of Australia, meeting in
Brisbane this week (July 21 to 27) passed a motion to further ties with the
Lutheran Church.

The General Synod welcomed and supported the Anglican-Lutheran Dialogue
Group report, "Common Ground", which was the result of almost three decades
of discussions.

The Synod authorized the continuation of the work of the Anglican-Lutheran
Dialogue Group and requested that the dialogue group report comments from
both churches to the churches' next respective general synods.

The Synod also affirmed that the report formed "an appropriate basis for
proceeding towards a national covenant for Eucharistic hospitality" at a
regional level, subject to further review by the Anglican Church's Doctrine
Panel.

Bishop of The Murray, Graham Walden, who is Anglican co-chair of the
dialogue, said the report and motion passed by General Synod provided a
significant step forward.

"'Common Ground' is not a declaration of church union but a solemn pledge to
walk together towards that goal," Bishop Walden said.

"The results of our discussions now need careful study in our churches."

He said that since 1972 the two churches had produced a number of agreed
statements on the Eucharist, Ministry, Baptism, Anglican-Lutheran Marriages
and Episcope and Unity.

The ACNSlist is published by the Anglican Communion Office, London.

You can join or leave the ACNSlist via our ACNS web page -
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/source.html#subscribe