From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Change or Reject Bush Energy Plan, NCC, COEJL Ask House

From "Carol Fouke" <carolf@ncccusa.org>
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:42:04 -0400

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2252
NCC7/30/2001 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CHRISTIAN, JEWISH GROUPS ASK HOUSE
TO CHANGE OR REJECT BUSH ENERGY PLAN

	July 30, 2001, WASHINGTON, D.C. - Change the Bush energy plan or reject it,
the National Council of Churches (NCC) and Coalition on the Environment and
Jewish Life (COEJL) urge in a letter delivered to every U.S. Representative
today.

	The plan - set to come before the U.S. House of Representatives on
Wednesday - “is not a balanced plan,” write the Rev. Dr. Robert Edgar, NCC
General Secretary, and Sharon Bloome, COEJL Chair.  “It does not reflect our
obligations to protect the environment and human health, nor is it
economically prudent.”

	Edgar and Bloome ask House members to reject the proposed energy
legislation unless it:

-	Significantly increases government standards for automobile fuel
efficiency from the current average 27.5 miles per gallon.  A 10 miles per
gallon increase would be significant, Edgar and Bloome say.
-	Treats sports utility vehicles (SUVs) as cars.  Currently, SUVs are held
to a lower fuel efficiency standard than are automobiles.
-	Rejects drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.  “Drilling in the
ANWR only delays the day when we must reduce our use of oil, and it would
unnecessarily harm a unique ecosystem and already threatened species,” Edgar
and Bloome write.
-	Significantly increases incentives for renewable energy and energy
efficiency and removes subsidies for oil, coal and nuclear energy.  The bill
provides $33.5 billion over 10 years in tax breaks - at least 75 percent of
that for fossil fuels and nuclear energy.  “Oil and coal companies do not
need assistance from U.S. taxpayers - oil companies have reported record
profits in recent quarters … “ Edgar and Bloome write.

The full text of the letter to U.S. House of Representatives members
follows:

NATIONAL COUNCIL OF CHURCHES
COALITION ON THE ENVIRONMENT AND JEWISH LIFE

July 30, 2001
Dear Representative:

We are writing to express our concerns about the omnibus energy legislation
coming before the House as it is not a balanced plan. It does not reflect
our obligations to protect the environment and human health, nor is it
economically prudent.

We urge you, on behalf of the National Council of Churches (36 Protestant,
Orthodox, and historic Black Church communions) and the Coalition on the
Environment and Jewish Life (29 national Jewish organizations), to support
the following improvements in the bill:

Replace the tiny increase of CAFE standards now in the bill with a
significant increase and close the SUV loophole. These are the most
effective steps we can take to help consumers with energy costs, reduce our
reliance on imported oil, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. We understand
from press reports that the National Academy of Sciences report on CAFE
requested by the Congress last year shows that a significant increase - 10
miles per gallon - in CAFE standards is both possible and desirable. We
believe an increase in CAFE standards will also have a positive effect on
the economy, stimulating innovation and increasing competitiveness. It is
simply not right to fail to do what we know we can to help people and
protect creation.

Remove the provision to drill in the ANWR. We cannot meaningfully reduce our
dependence on imported oil by drilling - we simply do not have the reserves.
Nor can we depend upon expanded supply of oil to meet our energy needs in
the future. Reducing our use of oil is the only way to accomplish these
objectives - and we have the technology to do so. Drilling in ANWR only
delays the day when we must reduce our use of oil, and it would
unnecessarily harm a unique ecosystem and already threatened species.

Significantly increase incentives for renewable energy and energy
efficiency, and remove subsidies for oil, coal, and nuclear energy. The bill
provides $33.5 billion over 10 years in tax breaks. At least 75 percent, or
$25.2 billion, are for fossil fuels and nuclear energy. We have an
obligation to our children and to our Creator to invest in a clean energy
future. Investments in energy efficiency and renewables over the past 10
years have yielded strong results according to a recent Department of Energy
study. Oil and coal companies do not need assistance from US taxpayers - oil
companies have reported record profits in recent quarters, and power plant
construction is at an all time high as a result of market demands.

If these improvements in the legislation are not made, I urge you not to
support it.

Now is the time to set a new and positive direction for American energy
policy, one that will lead our nation in a transition from an energy system
that harms human health, causes global warming, degrades land and marine
ecosystems, and pollutes the earth to an energy system that provides clean,
renewable, and reliable energy that does not threaten human health or the
environment. That future is within our grasp. Not to reach for it would be a
gross abdication of our moral responsibility.

Thank you for your consideration of our views.

Sincerely,

The Rev. Dr. Robert Edgar
General Secretary, National Council of Churches
475 Riverside Drive, New York, NY  10115

Sharon Bloome
Chair, Coalition on the Environment and Jewish Life
443 Park Avenue South, 11th floor, New York, NY 10016

-end-