From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

United Methodists deeply involved in 18th world conference

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:08:31 -0500

July 31, 2001 News media contact: Linda Bloom·(212) 870-3803·New York
10-71BP{335}

NOTE: For complete coverage of the World Methodist Conference, including
photographs, go to http://umns.umc.org/wmc on the Internet.

BRIGHTON, England (UMNS) - Egle Diedonyte had never seen such a large group
of Methodists.

The young woman, who had been the first person baptized when Methodism was
re-established in Lithuania in 1996 after a half-century of Soviet
occupation, was excited by her warm welcome at the 18th World Methodist
Conference.

"I am happy to be here," she said. "It encourages me."

Diedonyte, coordinator of youth ministries for the United Methodist Church
in Lithuania, was among the many representatives of the denomination who
joined brothers and sisters from other churches with Wesleyan roots at the
conference.

Nearly 4,000 attended the July 25-31 event in Brighton, England. The World
Methodist Council, with 77 member churches in 130 countries, sponsored the
conference.

During the grand opening worship service, Frances Alguire of New Buffalo,
Mich., who has served as the council's chairperson for the past five years,
spoke about the challenge of discerning God's will at the beginning of the
new millennium.

"Being a Christian in the 21st century is different from our grandparents'
time, and, to those younger, from their great-grandparents' time," she told
the gathering. "Teaching truth and morality and words of Scripture is still
important, but in today's world it must be communicated with diverse
cultural, ethnic and social groups."

The Rev. Eddie Fox of Nashville, Tenn., director of world evangelism,
outlined the key ways in which the council conducts its witness for Jesus
Christ.

"I love this church," Fox continued. "I want her to do more and be more in
spreading the Gospel. Many people have no idea how extensive our ministry
is, yet we're only touching the edge. The Methodist people are challenged to
shed the light of Jesus everywhere - to provide healing hope to a world that
desperately needs Jesus."

But some World Methodist Council members also are sensitive about how they
work together. During a council meeting before the conference, United
Methodist Bishop Walter Klaiber of Germany brought a proposal on behalf of
the European Methodist Council, expressing concern about Methodists who
establish churches of their own connection in another country without
consulting Methodist bodies already at work in the area.

Several South Africans expressed concern that the United Methodist Church
has created congregations in their country without consultation.

After considerable discussion, the council endorsed the proposal to create a
task force to produce a "manual of etiquette" among Methodist churches. It
also requested that until the task force completes its work, churches should
not start new congregations without the "courtesy of dialogue" with
Methodist denominations already in the area.

To ensure continued funding for the council's work, a campaign for a $20
million endowment fund was formally adopted. The Rev. William Quick of
Detroit, who is directing the campaign, reported that 25 percent of that
goal has been achieved, including pledges and cash gifts received during the
Brighton meeting.

Don Fites of Peoria, Ill., chairperson of the endowment's steering
committee, said the goal of the fundraising effort is to "translate John
Wesley's 18th century vision of a 'world parish' into a 21st century
reality."

"Unless we create a permanent endowment, the council will continue to live
from hand-to-mouth," he added. He explained that in recent years the body
has operated with a $70,000 to $100,000 annual deficit. "We couldn't have
had this gathering without an appeal for individual gifts."

A call by the council's social and international affairs committee to invest
the endowment only in companies using renewable energy sources became bogged
down in debate and parliamentary confusion. Instead, a motion was approved
directing the council's finance committee to develop a policy statement on
ethical investments and to report to the next executive committee meeting.

In his last address as staff executive for the World Methodist Council, the
Rev. Joe Hale, a United Methodist clergyman, pointed to the council's work
involvement in evangelism, ecumenism and the promotion of peace as high
points of his 25-year tenure.

Hale and his wife, Mary, were saluted in a heartfelt tribute for their
faithfulness, kindness, generosity, hard work and devotion to Christ and the
council. In a surprise ceremony, Hale was named a recipient of the World
Methodist Peace Award, and Mary Hale received the council's Honorable Order
of Jerusalem. It also was announced that the museum at the council
headquarters in Lake Junaluska, N.C., would be named the "Joe and Mary Hale
World Methodist Museum."

The council's new staff executive is the Rev. George Freeman, a clergyman
from Virginia. United Methodists elected as members of the council's
presidium for 2002-2006 are Klaiber of Germany; United Methodist Bishop Neil
Irons of Harrisburg, Pa.; and Laurie Day from Caldwell, Idaho, who is
serving as a mission intern in Belfast, Ireland, for the United Methodist
Board of Global Ministries.

Bishop Thomas Hoyt of the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church is replacing
Irons as chairperson of the council's North American section. Other vice
presidents elected for five-year terms include Bishop Elias Galvan, who
leads the United Methodist Church's Seattle Area.

# # #

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org