From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans Gather for 2001 Global Mission Events

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:18:26 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 31, 2001

LUTHERANS GATHER FOR 2001 GLOBAL MISSION EVENTS
01-207-FI/MM*

 CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Guests came from around the world to meet, talk,
worship, pray and learn with missionaries and other members of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) under the theme "Live
God's Peace Together."  More than 2,200 people gathered for Global
Mission Events (GMEs) July 12-15 at the Marriott Denver Tech Center,
Denver, and July 19-22 at Susquehanna University, Selinsgrove, Pa.
Susquehanna is one of 28 colleges and universities of the ELCA.
 "Jesus is our peace," said the Rev. David L. Miller, editor, The
Lutheran, the magazine of the ELCA, in keynote remarks. "He tears down
the walls that divide."
 Miller said he had gone to southern Sudan, in northeast Africa, to
write a story about the millions of Sudanese who had been driven from
their homes by decades of war.  In a camp of about 10,000 refugees, he
said he entered a bunker and found a dozen people "waiting there to die"
of starvation and disease.
 In the darkness of the bunker, Miller sat next to a young woman
cradling her dying child.  When he realized the mother was clutching a
handmade cross, he let her know that he, too, was a Christian.  The
woman asked Miller to say a prayer.  "She wanted me to bless her child
as if for dying," he said.
 The living Jesus evaporated the walls that separated the American
journalist and the mother and child, said Miller.  "Every tear was a
prayer for God's future.  Even our tears united us," he said.
 "We live in a world of walls," Miller said, walls that keep little
ones apart from God -- poverty, injustice, need, despair, greed, hatred,
discrimination, language, apathy and carelessness.  "Walls divide heaven
and earth."  He added, "Jesus tears down walls.  This I know."
 "The war in Sudan has left over 4 million people displaced or as
refugees and has taken over 2 million lives," said Kathryn Wolford,
president, Lutheran World Relief (LWR), in her presentation to the GME.
"It is a very complex conflict complicated by religion, culture, race
and control over resources," she said.  She introduced Telar Deng,
architect of the People to People program, New Sudan Council of Churches
(NSCC), and Dr. Pauline Riak, executive director and founder of the
Sudanese Women's Association in Nairobi (SWAN).
 "These two people offer voices of courage, vision and of hope.
They are on the front line of the struggle and building peace," said
Wolford.  Wolford spoke in Denver, and Adrienne Shannon, LWR public
policy associate, spoke in Selinsgrove.
 Deng explained the complexity of the war in Sudan and the role the
NSCC is playing in the struggle.  "This is an 18-year war.  A violent,
bloody and complex war, but this is the second part in this bloody war,"
he said.  "It's a struggle for life, liberty and the pursuit of
happiness."  Deng explained how the war includes three major conflicts;
the North versus the South, North versus North and South versus South.
 "There was tribal conflict.  Major tribes fought for seven-and-a-half years,"
he said. "Then the NSCC was asked to start a grassroots
peace process."  From this process, the Grassroots Peace Summit took
place in the village of Lilir.  Former enemies from six ethnic groups,
originally divided by civil war, made peace.  There were 129 leaders who
signed the peace accord under the NSCC, Deng said.
 "The war in South Sudan is the longest war.  The Sudanese are
asking all of us to pray and help them with the difficulties they have,"
Deng said.  "In order for us to overcome AIDS and hunger, what we need
is peace.  Peace is fundamental, so fundamental.  The people of South
Sudan will ask if they can be wiped out because there is no point of
living if not in peace," he said.
 Deng reminded people that the war in Sudan is not "only a war in
Sudan.  It's a war of all of us.  We need all of you to help us through
this war."
 Riak spoke about God's grace and human courage for the women of
Sudan.  She works with women who fled the war through SWAN.  SWAN is a
group of about 500 women from different warring groups and diverse
cultural, ethnic, religious, political and linguistic groups who have
made it their duty to work for peace in Sudan, said Riak.
 "We figured that since we are Christians, we have something in
common," she said.  "We work together to make sure we are a family.
It's kind of hilarious because we are enemies.  But we love ourselves,
we love Sudan, and we love life.  We vowed as women of Sudan, living in
Kenya, that we would not fight each other," said Riak.
 Riak said the women of SWAN are no less guilty for the war.  "We
are the ones who sing the war songs to push the men on," she said.
"Although many of us are pacifists, we believe in war because we have no
country to go to.  Where do we go?  The United States?  We are not
Americans, we are not Kenyans, we are Sudanese.  We want to go home."
 Riak says the women of SWAN are "traumatized because we get the
news about relatives killed, raped, shot down, and our oil and wealth is
being used to wipe us off the face of this earth."
 "When a child dies, it's our baby.  When a solider dies, it's our
flesh and our blood, no matter who they are.  When a women dies, it's
our sister," she said.
 LWR heard what the organization was doing and offered a grant,
which SWAN used for civic education workshops, Riak said.  "In a matter
of days a total vocabulary had changed," she said.
 Another LWR grant enabled a program to train businesswomen and
provided them with loans to start their own business enterprises.  The
women repay the loans so others can continue in the program.
 "In the last four years, 95 percent of those women have paid back
their loans.  This shows a sense of commitment in the community; a
commitment to want the community to grow," said Riak.
 Riak concluded by leaving a positive message for the audience.
"The message I want to bring to you is that all is not hopeless on the
African continent.  Women and men are fighting daily to bring about
peace," she said.  "Your presence as human beings, as Christians is most
important.  Your prayer is most important."
 The art of music and dance was part of the GMEs.  It was used to
"present a dramatization of the worldwide struggle to overcome violence
and build a culture of peace," said the Rev. Lusmarina Campos Garcia,
Evangelical Church of the Lutheran Confession in Brazil and executive
producer of "Peace to the City."  Peace to the City is a contemporary
chamber ballet from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, that involves two Brazilian
groups: choreographer Marcia Milhazes' contemporary dance company and
the Aquarius music trio.
 "This program is a contribution especially from the World Council
of Churches (WCC) in their journey to end violence and work toward
peace," said Garcia.  "This ballet speaks about peace and is beautiful."
The ELCA is a member church of the WCC.
      In a general session called "The World is Coming to America,"
Denise Laugtug, director, Ambassadors Circle, Lutheran Immigration and
Refugee Service (LIRS), introduced Dubravka Mujagic, a former Bosnian
refugee, and Mekabou Fofana, a Liberian asylum seeker.  "Two different
stories -- both sad -- hard to tell -- hard to listen to," said Laugtug.

 Mujagic was living what she considered to be a normal life in
Sarajevo -- a university graduate, wife and mother, whose biggest
problem was trying to decide where to spend vacation.  Then, for reasons
she didn't understand, war broke out, and bombs and snipers became part
of her "normal life."
 A Catholic Christian, Mujagic is married to a Muslim.  So the
family became suspect by both sides of the fighting.  "Was my
seven-year-old son dangerous?  Was I dangerous to anyone?  No," she
said.  The Red Cross helped her and her son to leave Bosnia.
 "I was separated from my husband for two years.  That was not our
decision.  My son was separated from his father for two years.  That was
not his decision," said Mujagic.
 Once reunited with her husband, Mujagic began searching for
"somewhere in the world where we could live together as a family."  They
were admitted to both Canada and the United States.
 Faith Lutheran Church welcomed Mujagic and her family to West Palm
Beach, Fla.  "I didn't believe them, because for three years no one
wanted us," she said.
 Remembering friends in Bosnia who lost children to the war,
Mujagic said, "I am the lucky one."  She added, "We are and will always
be good, honest Americans."
 Fofana celebrated his 18th birthday during the second GME, leaving
behind a remarkable childhood.
 "I fled Liberia with my family as a young child," said Fofana.
His father and uncles were killed.  He hoped to find safety with a
cousin living in New York; his mother escaped to another country in
Africa.
 Seeking asylum, Fofana arrived in the United States with a false
passport.  He spoke Mandingo and very little English.  He said U.S.
authorities asked him to sign some legal documents, but he refused
because he could not read them.  He said five large men physically
forced him to sign the papers.  Bleeding, he said to himself, "They will
kill me in this country, too."
 Over the next 30 months Fofana was taken in handcuffs and shackles
from prison to prison.  Each move made it more difficult for his lawyer
and family to maintain contact.
 Fofana spent from two days to nine months in half a dozen prisons.
He shared a cell with a murderer.  He spent a week in solitary
confinement.  He had nightmares of being deported.  "I was not a
criminal.  I was too young to be in prison," he said.
 Granted asylum in December 2000, Fofana is now a high school
student in New York.  He said he learned English and Spanish in prison.
He addressed the gathering in English.
 "I like America, because my life is protected here," said Fofana.
"God bless America."
 Laugtug called LIRS "a very quiet ministry" with a long history.
In 1939 it began finding homes for Lutherans and Jews displaced by Nazi
Germany, and it continues to settle immigrants, refugees and asylum
seekers.
 "No one aspires to be a refugee," said Laugtug.  People come to
the United States to be reunited with family members, to find work and
to find safety.
 Welcome and receive the gifts of newcomers, said Laugtug.  "Think
twice about disparaging someone who comes to this country to find work."
 Another feature at the GMEs was GlobalFest, which featured stage
performances and about 50 interactive displays to give the participants
a taste of as many cultures of the world as possible, using musical
instruments, songs, games, storytelling, videos, dance, posters, skits,
coffee, photos, brochures, books, translations, naming, artwork,
handcrafts, maps, fabrics and letter writing.  The gathering honored the
ELCA's retired and current missionaries.
 In addition, more than 70 workshops, called "Global University
Sessions," explored global advocacy and education, witness and
evangelism, justice-peace-creation and peace, and examined the work of
the church on every continent of the world.  Topics ranged from "the
World Wide Web of life" to "making Christ real in the midst of the city"
and from making one's church "a place of hospitality for refugees" to
"picking a college with a (global) mission."  Junior and senior high
school programs coincided with the workshops.
 The Rev. Gladys Moore, assistant to the bishop, New Jersey Synod,
presided at a closing Eucharist service.
 Moore's sermon was based on the Gospel according to John.
"Abundance of life is about living and having justice and peace through
life," she said.
 "We enjoy relative peace in this country, but we know that
millions of God's children are either recovering from war and strife,
such as those in Bosnia and Liberia, or still living through terrible
violence, like those living in Palestine and Israel and our Sudanese
sisters and brothers," said Moore.  "Some have been fortunate enough to
escape the bombs and bullets only to face the brutality of our U.S.
immigration system," she said.
 A friend of Moore's, the Rev. Wolfgang Herz-Lane, who was ordained
this past January, wanted to start a church in Camden, N.J., several
years ago, less than 100 yards away from a bridge.  The bridge connected
the Fairview Neighborhood, a predominantly White, middle class
neighborhood, to Morgan Village, an impoverished, mostly Black
neighborhood.  Five years ago, the Fairview neighborhood petitioned for
the bridge to be torn down.  "They didn't want people from Morgan
Village to come to their neighborhood," said Moore.
 With the help of Herz-Lane, the ELCA Division for Outreach put a
new church in that area "that would bridge the gap between God's people
who were Black, White or Latino.  Those who were gay or straight, poor
or rich, well-educated or high school dropouts," Moore said.
 Bridge of Peace Lutheran Church had its first Sunday service the
first week in July.  "It's a wonderfully diverse congregation, and it
seeks to live out the dream of abundant life that Jesus came to offer
all people," said Moore.
 Moore closed her sermon saying, "We have mighty and wonderful work
to do.  May we go forth clothed with compassion, filled with peace and
ready to be living reminders of that one who is our Good Shepherd who
came to give abundant life to all."
 Global Mission Events are usually held each year.  The 2002 events
will be held July 18-21 at Lenoir-Rhyne College, Hickory, N.C., and July
25-28 at the Minneapolis Convention Center and Central Lutheran Church,
Minneapolis, with the theme "Dare to Live God's Promise."  Lenoir-Rhyne
is a college of the ELCA.
-- -- --
The Division for Global Mission maintains information about the Global
Mission Events at http://www.elca.org/dgm/gme2001/index.html on the Web.

*Michelle Mills is a senior at Bradley University, Peoria, Ill.  This
summer she is an intern with ELCA News & Information.

For information contact: