From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UFMCC Response to U.S. "Faith-Based Initiative

From UfmccHq@aol.com
Date Wed, 1 Aug 2001 12:56:04 EDT

Title: UFMCC Response to U.S. "Faith-Based Initiative

Respond to: UFMCCHQ@aol.com

A Message From The Moderator
Of The Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches

Statement By The Rev. Elder Troy D. Perry

On U.S. President George Bush's Faith-Based Initiative Proposals

"In this regard, I pledge to be both vocal and vigilant."
                                    -- The Rev. Elder Troy D. Perry

Dear Friends:

This past week, the U.S. House of Representatives, by a vote of 233-198, gave
its approval to the Faith-Based and Community Initiatives Act proposed by
U.S. President George Bush in January. This proposal is also known as the
Charitable Choice Act and the Community Solutions Act of 2001.

This bill would allow religious-based charities and churches to seek federal
funds to provide community services, and would allow religious organizations
to compete on an equal footing with secular organizations for billions of
dollars in U.S. federal funds.

While this legislation still faces hurdles in the U.S. Senate, it now appears
that some version of the Faith-Based and Community Initiatives Act will be
enacted into law.

In light of these actions, the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community
Churches calls upon the Bush Administration to administer this program fairly
and equitably among all religious communities which represent the great
diversity of American beliefs.

In remarks this past week, President Bush noted, "Americans deserve a rich
mix of options, because when it comes to...social ills, one size does not fit
all.

I agree.

If federal funds are to be made available to religious organizations in order
to address societal problems, they must be made available to ALL religious
organizations -- including the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community
Churches. Anything less than this places the federal government in the role
of sanctioning certain religions at the expense of others -- a clear and
dangerous violation of our Constitutional rights and protections.

In his remarks, President Bush went on to note, "We will focus on expanding
the role in social services of faith-based and other community-serving groups
that have traditionally been distant from government."

Today, I am calling upon the Bush Administration to honor these commitments
-- and to move from words to actions.

In a related note, I also salute the moderate Republicans in the U.S. House
of Representatives. At the risk of threats from their own political party,
these brave men and women delayed consideration of the President's bill until
they were allowed to enter into the official record their concerns that the
bill must not allow the use of federal funds to discriminate against gays in
hiring practices by groups participating in the Faith-Based Initiative.

I strongly echo their concerns. In this process, federal tax monies which are
designated to help our most needy and vulnerable citizens must never be used
by religious organizations that demonize groups or individuals which differ
from themselves -- and must never be used against this nation's gay, lesbian,
bisexual and transgendered citizens and residents. In this regard, I pledge
to be both vocal and vigilant.

In light of the apparent impending approval of the Faith-Based and Community
Initiatives Act, I am today noting the following:

FIRST,
The Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community pledges to join with
social justice and legal rights groups to carefully monitor the work of the
White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives, and to
vigilantly review the implementation of the new law.

SECOND,
I will not be reluctant to speak out or to mobilize action if this program
fails to honor its pledge of "neutrality and nondiscrimination" as religious
organizations compete on an equal footing both among themselves and with
secular organizations for federal funding to provide community services.

President Theodore Roosevelt once said, "The American people are slow to
anger. But once their anger is kindled, it burns like a consuming fire."
Today, I am putting the Bush administration on notice that any violation of
neutrality in the implementation of this program will unleash a backlash of
"righteous anger" from a wide spectrum of religious faiths across the nation.

THIRD,
If a final version of the program is passed by the Congress and signed into
law, as it now appears will be the case, I will instruct our UFMCC
Headquarters staff to prepare resources for UFMCC regions and local MCC
congregations that wish to seek funding for the many community-based services
offered by Metropolitan Community Churches within the U.S., including
exemplary HIV and AIDS community services, prison ministries, programs for
at-risk LGBT youth, feeding and clothing programs, and other services for the
homeless and those in poverty. These UFMCC-prepared resources will include
application procedures for the "Compassion Capital Fund," the government fund
which will provide funding to small non-profit groups to assist with the
initial -- and cumbersome -- federal application process.

I have the greatest respect for my fellow activists and religious leaders who
have opposed enactment of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives Act. However,
as we move toward apparent approval of this proposal, we must also focus upon
ensuring that the federal government administers this program with
neutrality, non-discrimination, and openness to all religious groups.

/signed/
The Rev. Elder Troy D. Perry
Founder and Moderator
The Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches

(END)

For Additional Information, Contact:
Jim Birkitt
UFMCC Interim Communications Director
8704 Santa Monica Boulevard, Second Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069
Tel. (310) 360-8640, Ext. 226
E-Mail: UFMCCHQ@aol.com
Website: www.ufmcc.com