From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UFMCC Responds To Egyptian Anti-Gay Persectution

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2001 11:56:38 -0700

A C T I O N   A L E R T
 From The Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches

RESPOND TO: UFMCCHQ@aol.com

A Call To Action by
The Rev. Elder Troy D. Perry
UFMCC Founder and Moderator

August 2, 2001

Today, I am joining hands with the al-Fatiha Foundation, Amnesty
International, and the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission
to designate August 15 as an "International Day of Mourning and Solidarity."

Let me explain:

People of conscience around the world have been shocked at the treatment of
54 men arrested by the Egyptian government on May 11, 2001, solely because of
their sexual orientation. These men have been detained in prison since their
arrest, officially charged with "immoral behavior" and "contempt of [Moslem]
religion." Their trials are slated to resume in Cairo on August 15.

I concur with the analysis of the al-Fatiha Foundation, a leading
organization for LGBT Moslems, and Amnesty International, that the majority,
if not all, of these men have been detained solely on the grounds of their
alleged sexual orientation. As such they are prisoners of conscience.

We are especially distressed by reports that these men were ill-treated
during their arrest and tortured during the first days of their detention. To
date, Egyptians authorities have not investigated these inquiries and
government officials have refused to respond to humanitarian inquiries.

These actions place Egypt in violation of the International Covenant on Civil
and Political Rights, of which Egypt is a signatory.

Accordingly, I have proposed five "action steps" which individuals and
organizations can take, and am asking:

-- That prayers be offered for these 54 men and their families during public
worship services in MCC congregations and all houses of faith on Saturday,
August 11 and Sunday, August 12, and that information on these human rights
violations by shared with congregants on that day.

-- That Wednesday, August 15 be recognized by UFMCC congregations, and by all
people of goodwill, as an "International Day of Mourning and Solidarity" on
behalf of those facing anti-gay persecution and imprisonment in Egypt.

-- That local activists around the world consider holding public
demonstrations in solidarity with the persecuted Egyptians, and use the press
and media to call attention to their plight. Ideas for such events may be
obtained by contacting the al-Fatiha Foundation by e-mail at
mfaisalalam@yahoo.com

-- That letters and phone calls be sent to Egyptian embassies around the
world asking for the immediate and unconditional release of these 54
prisoners. (See addresses below.)

-- That you forward this Action Alert to your friends, and to e-mail lists
and listservs to which you belong, in order to focus the world's attention
upon this injustice.

When I spoke before the al-Fatiha Foundation gathering of LGBT Moslems in San
Francisco in June, I spoke these words, "Just as UFMCC has challenged the
Christian church to take a fresh look at the societal and personal prejudices
which have crept into Christian theology, I encourage you to challenge Islam
on their stands on gays and lesbians. It is only through working together in
this way that you will change the attitude of Islamic countries concerning
gays and lesbians living in those cultures."

The current crisis in Egypt provides an opportunity for us to join hands with
our Moslem brothers and sisters to further the cause of social and spiritual
justice for all people.

/signed/
The Rev. Elder Troy D. Perry
Founder and Moderator
The Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Church

A C T I O N
UFMCC endorses the following action proposed by Amnesty International.

Please write letters to Egyptian authorities that:

-- Express your concern at the ongoing detention of these men;

-- Inform them that we believe these men are detained solely on the grounds
of their alleged sexual orientation;

-- Communicate that if people are detained solely on account of their sexual
orientation, we join with Amnesty International in considering them prisoners
of conscience and call for their immediate and unconditional release

-- Express your concern at the allegations of torture and ill-treatment
during arrest and detention and call on the authorities to conduct prompt
investigations into these serious allegations.

Letters should be addressed to:
Counsellor Maher 'Abd al-Wahid
Public Prosecutor
Dar al-Qadha al-'Ali Ramses Street
Cairo, Egypt

Fax: + 202 577 47 16

Salutation: Dear Public Prosecutor

Letters should also be addressed to the
Ambassador of the Egyptian Embassy in your country:

AUSTRALIA
Egyptian Embassy 1 Darwin Avenue Yarralumla
Canberra, ACT 2600
Tel: (62) 273-4437/8

CANADA
Egyptian Embassy 454 Laurier Avenue East
Ottawa, Ontario KIN 6R3
Tel: (613) 234-4931 / 35/58

ENGLAND
Egyptian Embassy 26 South Street
London W1Y 6DD
Tel: 020 7499-2401, 020 7499-3304

FRANCE
Egyptian Embassy 56 Avenue d'Iena
Paris 75116
Tel: (1) 47 20 97 70 / 47 20 75 97

GERMANY
Egyptian Embassy Konprinzen Str 2 Bad Godesberg
Bonn
Tel: (228) 364000/8/9

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Embassy of the Arab Republic of Egypt  3521 International Ct NW
Washington DC 20008-2023
Fax: 202 244 4319

(END)

For Additional Information, Contact:
Jim Birkitt
UFMCC Interim Communications Director
8704 Santa Monica Boulevard, Second Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069
Tel. (310) 360-8640, Ext. 226
E-Mail: UFMCCHQ@aol.com
Website: www.ufmcc.com