From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC HEAD PRAISES EPA ADMINISTRATOR'S PLAN FOR HUDSON CLEAN-UP

From Carol Fouke <carolf@ncccusa.org>
Date Thu, 2 Aug 2001 15:47:31 -0700

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2252
NCC8/2/01 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC HEAD PRAISES EPA ADMINISTRATOR'S PLAN FOR HUDSON CLEAN-UP

	August 2, 2001, NEW YORK CITY - The Rev. Dr. Robert W. Edgar, National
Council of Churches General Secretary, today thanked U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency Administrator Christine Todd Whitman for "a wise and
faithful decision" on Hudson River cleanup.  He has criticized several
recent Bush Administration decisions on the environment. The full text of
his letter, faxed today to Ms. Whitman, follows.

The Honorable Christine Todd Whitman, Administrator
US Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC

August 2, 2001

Dear Ms. Whitman,

On behalf of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA,
which consists of 36 national denominational bodies, I wish to express our
gratitude for your extremely important directive on cleaning the Hudson
River. My office windows overlook that beautiful waterway and I am thankful
that you protected the beauty and integrity of the river for future
generations.

As the debate on the environment has proceeded this year, the religious
community has made clear that moral and religious values need to be included
in decision-making. These values include: stewardship of all of creation,
sustainability, responsibility to future generations, justice for all of God
's children, prudence in responding to risks, and the affirmation that  "The
Earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof".

As you know, religious leaders have been critical of several of the
decisions of the Bush administration on the environment. We have been
particularly concerned about the President's withdrawal from the Kyoto
Protocol process, the change in the arsenic levels allowed in water, the
reneging on the promise to reduce carbon dioxide levels in coal-burning
power plants, and elements of the energy plan that will increase the threat
of climate change.

Yet, we believe that decisions that heal and protect God's creation should
be acknowledged and thanks given to the leaders who choose to do the right
thing.  We thank you for your wisdom and courage and pray for God's guidance
and strength as you take other steps to protect creation now and for
generations to come.  Again our thanks for a wise and faithful decision.

Sincerely, Rev. Dr. Robert W. Edgar, General Secretary

-end-