From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Catholic Bishops of India Expresses grave Anguish over killings in Doda

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2001 13:04:45 -0700

New Delhi, 7 August 2001

The Catholic Bishops' Conference of India (CBCI) has expressed its grave
anguish and concern over the killings, third time in the past few weeks,
of the Hindus in Kishtwar and Doda region.

Appealing to the Home Minister Mr. L. K. Advani, the Secretary General
of the CBCI, Archbishop Oswald Gracias of Agra said, "immediate
appropriate steps need to be taken to contain violence in Jammu and
Kashmir region where innocent people are being killed by militants to
settle score with the State and Central governments".

"Picking out Hindus selectively and brutally killing them is no way of
settling an issue. I appeal to all the people of good will to come
forward and condemn such dastardly acts", said Archbishop Vincent M.
Concessao of Delhi and the First Vice-President of the CBCI.

Rev. Donald D'Souza, the Deputy Secretary General of the CBCI,
expressing his anguish over the killings of Hindu pilgrims and others
said, "our hearts lament seeing the bloody campaign in Jammu and Kashmir
where the lives of our innocent brothers and sisters are targeted".

Issued by
Dominic Emmanuel svd
Catholic Bishops' Conference of India