From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Hears of Unfinished Business in Bishop's Final Report

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Thu, 9 Aug 2001 19:22:00 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 9, 2001

ELCA ASSEMBLY HEARS OF UNFINISHED BUSINESS IN BISHOP'S FINAL REPORT
01-CWA14-LS

     INDIANAPOLIS (ELCA) -- Evangelism and ministry with the poor are
unfinished tasks facing the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA), said Presiding Bishop H. George Anderson in his report to the
churchwide assembly. It was his final report as presiding bishop, as a
new ELCA bishop will be elected at the assembly later this week.
     The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of the
ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 8-14 at the Indiana Convention Center. There
are more than 2,000 people participating, including 1,040 ELCA voting
members. The theme for the biennial assembly is "Making Christ Known:
Sharing Faith in a New Century."
     Reaching out to others is an ongoing challenge for the ELCA,
Anderson said. "Our efforts in evangelism have not kept pace with the
growing and diversifying population around us," said the bishop.
     Church members have made progress through innovative methods, he
said. The "Identity Project" has helped the ELCA gain national name
recognition and the "Call to Discipleship" has invited people to
worship. But more outreach is necessary, Anderson said.
     Ministry with people in poverty is the second area of unfinished
business, Anderson said. While gifts to World Hunger and other programs
for the poor have increased, ELCA members must build on that foundation,
he said.
     "It is time to start constructing a house, a place for living
together, a place where we meet and learn to respect the people we are
trying to help," Anderson said.
     Lutherans must minister with people in poverty, not to them, and
see things from their point of view, Anderson said.
     The Christian church is a "work in progress," the bishop said.
"Although this church still has unfinished business in the areas of
evangelism and the health of society, we have been blessed with some
powerful gifts to accomplish it."
     Congregations are experimenting with and agreeing on new styles of
worship and working together with full communion partners like the
Episcopal Church, Anderson said.
     In addition, Lutherans have set new records for financial giving.
For example, annual gifts to World Hunger that had hovered around $12
million in recent years have risen to $16 million, Anderson said, with
an eventual goal of $25 million.
     ELCA members have also made progress in identifying and developing
leaders for ordained and lay ministries, the bishop said.
     Reflecting on this assembly, Anderson encouraged participants to
have patience as voting members struggle with tough issues. The voting
members will consider resolutions dealing with the ELCA's full communion
agreement with the Episcopal Church and policies regarding gays and
lesbians.
     The Christian church has a history of conflict, said the bishop.
"I believe it is natural for a living church to be in constant tension.
Tension represents the double commitment to being both faithful and
relevant."
     It is crucial that members put love above their differences, he
said.
-- -- --
     Information about assembly actions is at
http://www.elca.org/assembly/01 on the ELCA's Web site. Recorded updates
during the assembly are available by calling 773/380-2477.

For information contact: