From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Meets with the Seven Nominees for Presiding Bishop

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Thu, 9 Aug 2001 21:55:29 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 9, 2001

ELCA ASSEMBLY MEETS WITH THE SEVEN NOMINEES FOR PRESIDING BISHOP
01-CWA17-MR

     INDIANAPOLIS (ELCA) -- Voting members of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America's (ELCA) Churchwide Assembly engaged the seven
remaining nominees for ELCA presiding bishop in a special question-and-
answer forum on Aug. 9.
     The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of the
ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 8-14 at the Indiana Convention Center.  There
are more than 2,000 people participating, including 1,040 ELCA voting
members.  The theme for the biennial assembly is "Making Christ Known:
Sharing Faith in a New Century."
     The proposal for a question-and-answer forum was adopted Aug. 8 by
the assembly.  The forum preceded the third ballot scheduled to take
place the morning of Aug. 10.
     The nominees fielded 19 questions from voting members ranging from
understanding the Lutheran confessions in light of ecumenical endeavors
to identifying methods of fostering trust in the church, from describing
administrative styles to articulating the role of social ministry in the
church.  Nominees were also asked to share vacation experiences.
     The seven nominees are:
     + The Rev. Donald J. McCoid, bishop of the ELCA Southwestern
Pennsylvania Synod, Pittsburgh, and chair of the ELCA Conference of
Bishops, an advisory body of the church's 65 synod bishops, presiding
bishop and secretary;
     + The Rev. James A. Nestingen, professor of church history, Luther
Seminary, St. Paul, Minn.;
     + The Rev. Peter Rogness, bishop of the ELCA Greater Milwaukee
Synod;
     + The Rev. April C. Ulring Larson, bishop of the ELCA LaCrosse
Area Synod, LaCrosse, Wis.;
     + The Rev. Mark S. Hanson, bishop of the ELCA Saint Paul Area
Synod;
     + The Rev. M. Wyvetta Bullock, executive director, ELCA Division
for Congregational Ministries, Chicago;
     + The Rev. Andrea DeGroot-Nesdahl, bishop of the ELCA South Dakota
Synod, Sioux Falls, S.D.
     When asked to explore an understanding of "confessions in light of
the ecumenical theology of the Lutheran church," particularly in light
of "Called to Common Mission" -- an agreement of full communion between
the ELCA and The Episcopal Church -- McCoid said, "The Lutheran Church
is a reforming movement in the Church catholic.  We know that the
reformers lifted up clearly ... what it means to be part of that church,
always looking to see how we might speak a word of justification by
grace through faith and always understanding [the] contributions we
make."
     "I think the issue of trust is one of the most critical we are
facing," said Rogness in response to another question.  "We are a young
church. I think we need to attend to the ways we relate to each other
both structurally and programmatically," he said.  "We need to find more
ways to cross-fertilize and intersect with each other and discern
together how we might live as one church, energetically in mission,"
Rogness added.
     Describing administrative characteristics, DeGroot-Nesdahl
highlighted "collaboration" as a key to her style.  She said, "We have
instituted in our synod council and in our office practices an
opportunity for all of us to engage in decision-making.  And, for all of
us to be a part of vision [setting], planning and strategizing together
for the work of the synod.  I often consult with pastors and lay leaders
... to offer their opinion and ideas."
     In fielding a question about the role of rostered lay people in
the ELCA, Hanson said, "We have undervalued rostered lay people in our
desire to be a missional church." He added that the church should focus
on the gifts it has provided and "match lay gifts with the needs of
churches and communities."
     "We get stuck when we confine ourselves to legal authority.  The
fun begins when the Scripture gets loose," said Nestingen when asked
about the "authority of the Lutheran confessions."  Nestingen noted the
difference between legal authority, which is one of conformity, and
evangelical authority, which consists of giving away and bestowing.
     When asked about the church's growth in finances and decline in
membership, Bullock said, "We evangelize for mission, not for money."
daughter was three years old, we were flipping through a Bible that had
pictures along side text. [My] daughter said, 'Mommy, where am I?'  She
needed to see herself in the story.  We should not take for granted that
just because [children] were baptized in the church ... that they should
not continue to see themselves in the story."
     The ELCA is "known as having the finest global mission department
in the world," said Larson.  She suggested that the church can learn
from others around the world about evangelism.  Larson responded to a
question about the church's global mission efforts.
     Dale V. Sandstrom, Bismarck, N.D., member of the ELCA Church
Council, moderated the forum.
-- -- --
     Information about assembly actions is at
http://www.elca.org/assembly/01 on the ELCA's Web site.  Recorded
updates during the assembly are available by calling 773/380-2477.

For information contact: