From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal Life launching new design with September issue

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2001 09:27:03 -0400 (EDT)

2001-210

Episcopal Life launching new design with September issue

     (ENS) Readers of Episcopal Life will see major changes when they receive
their September issue.

     "It's the first really major redesign we've done in 10 years and it's sure
to be noticed," according to editor Jerry Hames. "Readers will find a more open,
attractive design, with more color, a more readable typeface, more graphics and
illustrations to accompany photographs and a more in-depth approach to some of
the topics that are vital to us as Episcopalians."

     The Internet will make its presence felt, with more links to Web sites and
e-mail links for readers to comment on topics of interest. The paper's Web site
will be upgraded gradually to include more reader participation, Hames said.

     The newspaper's new design incorporates new features and four new
departments. "Readers of the September issue will immediately see the modern logo
on the front page and a cover story featured in each issue," said Hames. "Called
'Closer Look,' the September story talks about Episcopal missionaries who serve
overseas and the life-changing effect of their work on the people to whom they
minister, as well as upon themselves and the parishes who send them.

     "We have other articles on the history of mission work, a graph that shows
our missionary presence is increasing and places where readers can learn more
about needs for mission work," he said. In the future, the special section will
deal with subjects such as Generation X, prayer and the "wired church."

     The remainder of the newspaper is divided into four sections: The first will
cover the news; the second, "Faith Works," is a new section with stories about
mission and ministry, with aids to help newcomers to the church, and resources
and a sample of the conferences and events that are on Episcopal Life's Web site.

     The third section is called "Art & Soul." It will offer articles on the
visual and performing arts, interviews with authors, poets, artisans and artists;
book reviews, commentaries on film, video and CDs. The spiritual life will also
be celebrated with columns by award-winning writers and practical help to inspire
and provide guidance.

     The fourth section, called "Active Voice," is also new. "It will be the
interactive section of the publication, a place for thought-provoking columnists
with an opportunity for reader response, commentaries and opinion articles,
first-person experiences, the presiding bishop's column and letters to the
editor," Hames said.

     "We are excited because we are convinced that the attractive design is more
reader friendly, helping our subscribers to easily locate stories of particular
interest. In addition to the design changes, we are also committed to even more
clarity in our writing on a broad range of relevant topics," he said.

     "The new Episcopal Life represents one way we're making communication about
the Episcopal Church more attractive, easier to use, with timely, accurate
information that people really care about," said Daniel England, director of
communications for the Episcopal Church. "I think people will really take to this
new format and will appreciate its more thoughtful approach to news and
information."

     Some things will not change. The newly designed Episcopal Life will continue
to be published in the same size and format and mailed both as a national edition
and in partnership with 30 diocesan publications. And the subscription price will
stay at $10.95 a year, with discounted rates for small groups, parishes and
diocesan-wide subscriptions. The paper reaches 255,000 households, including all
clergy and bishops of the church, and is sent to every primate of the Anglican
Communion.