From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Prompts Gay and Lesbian Meetings

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2001 09:20:23 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 10, 2001

ELCA ASSEMBLY PROMPTS GAY AND LESBIAN MEETINGS
01-CWA18-LJG

     INDIANAPOLIS (ELCA) -- A non-traditional congregation of 142
people gathered in a traditional sanctuary of Christ Church Episcopal
Cathedral here for a midday festival worship during the 2001 ELCA
Churchwide Assembly, Aug. 9. The Rev. Deborah D. Conrad of Indiana-
Kentucky Synod preached and Bishop Kenneth R. Olsen, ELCA Metropolitan
Chicago Synod, presided at a service sponsored by Lutherans
Concerned/North America (LC/NA).
     The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of the
ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 8-14 at the Indiana Convention Center.  There
are more than 2,000 people participating, including 1,040 ELCA voting
members.  The theme for the biennial assembly is "Making Christ Known:
Sharing Faith in a New Century."
     Wearing a clergy stole made by the ELCA Commission for Women,
Conrad talked of the call "to go":
      "I feel like I'm standing on the edge of something, about to
jump!  Something's going on that matters, and you've been invited into
the fray. My preacher's heart has the inclination not just to go, but to
go and go and go, quite possibly covering a half to three-fourths of the
Scripture and then going some more."
     As a visiting preacher to Indianapolis, Conrad had been encouraged
to include a racing metaphor in her homily.  She asked, "Why do
thousands of people gather to watch the same old regulars go round and
round in circles?" a reference to both the Indy 500 and the ELCA
assembly, which received laughter and comments from the congregation.
Advising the congregation to "let me do the sermon" she went on to talk
about the foolishness of biblical figure Abram's journey, "Conventional
wisdom says this is a bad idea. They moved to a place they'd never been
by a God they'd never met before.  And God promised descendants --
exactly what God knew Abram and Sarah would be most vulnerable to.
Okay, so some strange guy walks up to you in a parking garage and tells
you if you get into his car and go for a ride, you'll collect a prize.
Go?  Don't go?  It's a no-brainer."
     "We have been called, and we are afraid.  It's perfectly
reasonable to be afraid.  It's just not faithful."  She added, "If
there's a racing image that is useful, it is that no one meanders around
a track.  We are called to go NOW," Conrad said.  "But before you go,
eat something. We need the strength that a little bread and some wine
will give us."
     The worship preceded the first national gathering of Lutheran
Family and Friends of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered People,
scheduled Aug. 9-10.  Thursday evening the conference was to open with
the national premier of a new video "What do you say when some you love
says 'I'm Gay?'" which features former ELCA synodical bishop Paul W.
Egertson.
     The Rev. Paul W. Egertson, 66, is a longtime proponent of
ordaining gay and lesbian people who are in committed relationships.  He
resigned as bishop of the ELCA Southern California (West) Synod
effective July 31, one month before his six-year term was to end.
Egertson made the decision following conversations with church leaders
after his controversial role as a key participant in the April 28
ordination of Anita C. Hill, who is not approved for ordination in the
ELCA.  Egertson had earlier indicated he would not be available for re-
election when his term ended this summer.
     An offering was taken with proceeds to go to support the
ministries of LC/NA, including the new video for families and LC/NA's
presence at churchwide assembly.
     LC/NA is self-defined as "a Christian ministry affirming God's
love for lesbian and gay people."  Their vision is "to take the lead in
creating new ministries for those the institutional church is ignoring."
Families Concerned, a new LC/NA ministry, sponsors affirming spiritual
support groups for parents, family and friends "in the context of the
best Lutheran traditions."
     Several events focusing on gay, lesbian, bisexual and
transgendered (GLBT) issues with the ELCA are scheduled as voting
members meet in Indianapolis.  Lutherans Concerned/North America is
sponsoring a two-day event for families; Soulforce and the Lutheran
Alliance for Full Participation plan a "celebration of Lutheran s/heros,
day long vigils, training in non-violence, and a possible civil
disobedience" from Aug. 10-13. Soulforce defines itself as "an
interfaith network of GLBT individuals and their families, friends and
allies committed to applying the principles of nonviolent resistance as
taught by Mohandas Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. to the liberation
of sexual and gender minorities."
     ELCA churchwide assembly voting members will discuss memorials
about same-sex unions and ordination of gay and lesbians people during
this assembly.
     The Rev. H. George Anderson, ELCA presiding bishop, recommended
that  "ELCA members must think through very carefully how we minister to
gays, before we come to quick decisions."
     A recommendation of the assembly memorials committee calls for
development of resources for discussing what it might mean to bless
committed same-gender relationships and proposals for definitions of
those relationships, but that the church not initiate a study on
homosexuality.
     The ELCA does not have a formal policy affirming or prohibiting
its clergy from blessing same-sex unions.  A 1993 advisory statement
from the Conference of Bishops noted that its members do not approve of
such ceremonies.
     "I have seen considerable progress in the ability of synods and
congregations to deal openly with a formerly taboo subject -- and to do
it in a civil manner," Anderson said Thursday morning.
     "What worries me is that there are still people on various sides
of the question who refuse to respect the views of people on the other
side," Anderson said in his report to the assembly.  "Some of those who
believe the present policy is correct accuse the other side of rejecting
clear biblical teaching.  Some of those who want to change our present
policy accuse the other side of failing to be as loving as Jesus is.  We
do not agree on how to interpret Scripture on this issue, nor do we
agree on the causes of homosexuality.  Until we do find greater
agreement, we need to listen carefully to one another."
-- -- --
Information about assembly actions is at http://www.elca.org/assembly/01
on the ELCA's Web Site.  Recorded updates during the assembly are
available by calling 773/380-2477.

For information contact: