From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Moderators begin putting together "peace, unity and purity" task

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 10 Aug 2001 10:28:29 -0400

Note #6783 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

force
09-August-2001
01267

Moderators begin putting together "peace, unity and purity" task force

More than 500 names have been submitted for 17-member panel

by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE - General Assembly moderator Jack Rogers and his two immediate
predecessors met in Louisville Aug. 6-8 to begin the process of selecting a
17-member task force that will try to lead the Presbyterian Church (USA) out
of its current theological malaise.

	"We've begun, and we're hopeful," Rogers told the Presbyterian News Service
after he, 1999 GA moderator Freda Gardner and 2000 moderator Syngman Rhee
concluded their first meeting together.

	This year's Assembly - by a vote of 467 to 41, more than 90 percent -
instructed the three to appoint the 17-member task force "to lead the
Presbyterian Church (USA) in spiritual discernment of our Christian identity
in and for the 21st century ... seeking the peace, unity and purity of the
church."

	The study group, which will make annual progress reports and a final report
to the 2005 GA, will address "but not be limited to issues of Christology,
Biblical authority and interpretation, ordination standards and power."

	Rogers said the potential membership of the task force was not discussed.
"We talked about our expectations and those of the Assembly, attempting to
sharpen the focus of the task that is before this group," he said. "I didn't
even bring my list (of names) with me."

	Rogers said more than 500 people have been recommended for the task force,
which he said proves "that the church is heavily invested in this process of
theological discernment."

	He added, "We're thrilled that so many Presbyterians are willing to be
involved in this most important task, to commit four years of their lives to
this."

	Rogers said the trio of moderators will meet again in August to "begin the
process of choosing the 17 task force members." He said he hopes the group
will be ready to begin its work by the end of September.