From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly to Consider Two Candidates for Presiding Bishop

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2001 17:34:57 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 10, 2001

ELCA ASSEMBLY TO CONSIDER TWO CANDIDATES FOR PRESIDING BISHOP
01-CWA28-MR

     INDIANAPOLIS (ELCA) -- The. Rev. Mark S. Hanson, bishop of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), Saint Paul Area Synod,
St. Paul, Minn., took the lead after the fourth ballot for presiding
bishop of the ELCA.  The Rev. Donald J. McCoid, bishop of the ELCA
Southwestern Pennsylvania Synod, Pittsburgh, and chair of the ELCA
Conference of Bishops -- an advisory body of the church's 65 synods,
presiding bishop and secretary -- is second.
     The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of the
ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 8-14 at the Indiana Convention Center.  There
are more than 2,000 people participating, including 1,040 ELCA voting
members.  The theme for the biennial assembly is "Making Christ Known:
Sharing Faith in a New Century."
     Hanson received 448 votes -- 43.3 percent -- of 1,035 votes cast.
McCoid received 362 votes -- 35 percent share of the vote.  McCoid moved
from first to second-place position on this ballot.  Sixty percent (or
621 votes) was needed for election.
     The Rev. James A. Nestingen, professor of church history, Luther
Seminary, St. Paul, Minn., received 225 votes -- 21.7 percent share of
the vote.  The top two vote-getters -- Hanson and McCoid -- will appear
on the fifth and final ballot Aug. 11.
     The ballot itself was preceded by a period of questions and
answers.  The nominees responded to a series of questions, such as
identifying short-term and long-term vision goals for the ELCA;
cultivation of leadership and decision-making; perception of ecumenism
and unity; and the role of justice in the church.
     "I envision that we will be what we once were   a missionary
church in a missionary context, so centered in the proclamation of the
Word and the administration of Sacrament that give life to the people of
this church," Hanson said.  "I sense within the ELCA an awakening desire
among laity and clergy and rostered lay folks alike to learn how to
encourage others to invite people into the faith," he said.
     "Word and Sacrament certainly distinguishes us for ministry," said
McCoid.  "Any vision would need to be grounded in our understanding of
the presence of God.  One of the most important things we need to have
now is dialogue to look at the differences and opportunities for lifting
up Word and Sacrament, and what it means to be together."
     "Ecumenism, properly speaking, is ecstatic.  That is, standing
outside of ourselves and discovering what's really there.  Hardly
anything can be more fun," said Nestingen.
     "I acknowledge that I have been a critic of ecumenism in the ELCA,
primarily because I come from a different school, and sometimes have had
to make a little noise to draw attention to the fact that there can be
different approaches to ecumenism," Nestingen added.  "If I were to be
called bishop of this church, I would have to honor its policies whether
or not I agree with them," he said.
     An initial vote by assembly voting members on the fourth ballot
was nullified, because of an error with the voting equipment.  Voting
members voted a second time.
-- -- --
     Information about assembly actions is at
http://www.elca.org/assembly/01 on the ELCA's Web site.  Recorded
updates during the assembly are available by calling 773/380-2477.

For information contact: