From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Draws Pro-Gay & Anti-Gay Protestors

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2001 18:27:16 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 11, 2001

ELCA ASSEMBLY DRAWS PRO-GAY & ANTI-GAY PROTESTORS
01-CWA36-LJG

     INDIANAPOLIS (ELCA) -- About 150 Soulforce and Lutheran Alliance
for Full Participation members stood in quiet vigil across the street
from the Indianapolis Convention Center Aug. 11, as voting members
entered to begin their fourth day of deliberation at the ELCA Churchwide
Assembly.  Anti-gay protestors gathered at the intersection of Capitol
and Maryland at the end of the block from the pro-gay gathering.
     The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of the
ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 8-14 at the Indiana Convention Center.  There
are more than 2,000 people participating, including 1,040 ELCA voting
members.  The theme for the biennial assembly is "Making Christ Known:
Sharing Faith in a New Century."
     Soulforce describes itself as "a grassroots, nonviolent movement
working to stop spiritual violence against God's lesbian, gay, bisexual
and transgender (GLBT) children."  Lutheran Alliance for Full
Participation is an association of groups with related missions,
regarding gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Lutherans.
     Soulforce publicist Laura Montgomery Rutt said that more than half
of those present were Lutherans, and the people come from across the
United States. By its presence during the assembly, Soulforce seeks to
empower GLBT people to take a stand against the ordination celibacy vow,
to put a face on the suffering of GLBT people, and to dialogue and to
change the hearts and minds of leaders of the Lutheran Church.
     Soulforce representatives met with ELCA leaders Aug. 9 to discuss
concerns. The organization sent letters outlining its goals to the ELCA
officers before the assembly met.
     "On numerous occasions, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
American (ELCA) has called for listening and conversation among its
members on issues related to gay and lesbian people in the church.  In
the ELCA, there is no consensus or common understanding on many issues
related to homosexuality," said the Rev. Joseph M. Wagner, executive
director of ELCA Division for Ministry,  in a statement released Aug. 11
on behalf of the church.  Wagner is also convener of the ELCA Interunit
Work Group on Homosexuality. "Last year, the ELCA Church Council asked
each synod to discuss these issues at their annual assemblies by 2003;
it also asked that ELCA rostered lay and clergy leaders engage in
similar discussion by 2003.  The ELCA is committed to ongoing
conversation on homosexuality and the church in a spirit of trust and
openness."
     "There are faithful members of our church who believe the ELCA
must change its policy to allow for the ordination of gay and lesbian
people who are in committed relationships.  There are also faithful
members of our church who believe the present policy is the correct
policy.  Our strategy has been to promote calm, informed discussion in
the church on gay and lesbian issues.  All must be given opportunity to
speak and listen to each other with mutual respect as brothers and
sisters in Christ.
     "We are confident that the Holy Spirit is present in these
discussions.  We encourage respect for diversity of opinion and openness
to learn from one another as we explore together questions related to
homosexuality and the church," Wagner said in the statement.
     Assembly voting members discussed issues pertaining to gay and
lesbian ordination during the morning session Aug. 11. Soulforce members
stood silently in a line across the back of the assembly hall during
that discussion.

-- -- --
     Information about assembly actions is at
http://www.elca.org/assembly/01 on the ELCA's Web Site.  Recorded
updates during the assembly are available by calling 773/380-2477.

For information contact: