From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Honors Outgoing Presiding Bishop at Zoo

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2001 19:09:18 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 11, 2001

ELCA ASSEMBLY HONORS OUTGOING PRESIDING BISHOP AT ZOO
01-CWA38-LJ

     INDIANAPOLIS (ELCA) -- Voting members of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA)  2001 Churchwide Assembly, went to the downtown
Indianapolis Zoo and White Water Gardens for the "H. George @ zoo,"
tribute for outgoing Presiding Bishop H. George Anderson and wife Jutta.
The Aug. 10 evening included an outdoor picnic, music from the New City
Choir, Los Angeles, Calif., and a dolphin show.
     The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of the
ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 8-14 at the Indiana Convention Center.  There
are more than 2,000 people participating, including 1,040 ELCA voting
members.  The theme for the biennial assembly is "Making Christ Known:
Sharing Faith in a New Century."
     The Rev. Howard E. Weenes, bishop of the ELCA Grand Canyon Synod,
served as master of ceremonies.  ELCA Central States bishop, the Rev.
Charles H. Maahs said, "You [Bishop Anderson] have ministered in a
compassionate and gentle way, served as teacher in prayer and study,
reminding us time and time again of the face of the church.  You have
shown us how to listen, to be a spiritual resource, and understand when
and where the church can initiate new steps. As pastor, teacher and
leader, you have been exemplary."
     Maahs continued, "Jutta, it was with joy we saw you and George
serving communion together at the opening worship service, a witness and
symbol of shared ministry of the church.  Thank you, Jutta,  for caring
for us."
     Meghan E. Smith, speaking for the youth of the church, said
"Bishop Anderson is a favorite among the youth and summer interns, as
'one of our own.' I remember the occasion during an important vote at
the 1999 assembly, when Bishop Anderson led the prayer.  I knew we were
all being lead by the Spirit, Bishop Anderson along with us, in the
spirit of Christ.  We will hold you very close in our hearts."
     ELCA Vice President, Dr. Addie J. Butler announced gifts
contributed to the ELCA's Fund for Leaders in Mission, telling Anderson
they were, "given in gratitude to honor your service and leadership
celebrating the ways you have blessed us: $50,000 from the Aid
Association for Lutherans (AAL) and Lutheran Brotherhood Foundation
(LB), $5,000 from the Conference of Bishops; members of the Church
Council have also contributed to the Fund."  Monday, Aug. 13, all voting
members will have the opportunity to support the scholarship fund,
honoring Anderson.  The Fund for Leaders in Mission, when fully endowed,
will support full tuition for every synodically registered full-time
student who has a commitment to ordained or rostered lay ministry within
the church and who is attending an ELCA seminary.
-- -- --
     Information about assembly actions is at
http://www.elca.org/assembly/01 on the ELCA's Web site.  Recorded
updates during the assembly are available by calling 773/380-2477.

For information contact: