From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Adopts Bylaw on Ordinations

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2001 22:36:15 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 11, 2001

ELCA ASSEMBLY ADOPTS BYLAW ON ORDINATIONS
01-CWA41-MM*

     INDIANAPOLIS (ELCA) -- Voting members of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA) Churchwide Assembly adopted a constitutional
bylaw amendment on "ordination in unusual circumstances," with just over
the two-thirds vote required to pass the amendment.  The bylaw was
passed with 67.4 percent of the votes; a total of 683 votes, to the 330
votes opposed.
     The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of the
ELCA, is meeting here Aug 8-14 at the Indiana Convention Center.  There
are more than 2,000 people participating, including 1,040 ELCA voting
members.  The theme for the biennial assembly is "Making Christ Known:
Sharing Faith in a New Century."
     "We took action to adopt an amendment to permit ordination in
unusual circumstances of persons whom their bishop decides has adequate
reasons," said ELCA Presiding Bishop H. George Anderson, at a news
conference.
     This bylaw will allow a synod bishop, under certain circumstances,
to delegate to another pastor the authority to preside at an ordination.
This bylaw resulted from concerns of some Lutherans related to "Called
to Common Mission" (CCM), a full-communion agreement of the ELCA and the
Episcopal Church.
     Under CCM, bishops must ordain new pastors.  Prior to CCM, a
bishop in the ELCA could delegate to such authority to another pastor.
The CCM requirement that a bishop preside at all Lutheran ordinations
has brought criticism from some Lutherans who say the policy increases
the power of bishops.  Some also have said CCM threatens Lutheran
identity.  The new bylaw amends this ordination requirement.
     "Such a process has the potential for the abuse of power by a
synod bishop," said the Rev. Paull E. Spring, ELCA Northwestern
Pennsylvania Synod bishop, during the debate.
     In a statement by the Rt. Rev. Frank T. Griswold, III, presiding
bishop and primate of the Episcopal Church, read at the news conference
by the Rev. Christopher Epting, deputy for ecumenical and interfaith
relations, the Episcopal Church, Griswold said, "We are concerned that
the ELCA has decided to adopt the bylaw entitled 'Ordination in Unusual
Circumstances.'  This appears to be a unilateral alteration of the
mutual commitment that both our churches have solemnly made to enter
into full communion based on CCM," the statement read.  "Obviously, it
is too early to tell how frequently the 'ordination in unusual
circumstances' will occur, or what the Episcopal Church's likely
response will be.  Only our General Convention can speak officially on
that," Griswold said.
     "I understand [Bishop Griswold's concern] fully, and I hope I can
rely on [our churches] good relationship.  Our belief is that the number
of 'ordinations in unusual circumstances' will be low.  I intend to
write a letter to Bishop Griswold interpreting my understanding of this
action," Anderson said.  "I intentionally stated my position to provide
something for the next presiding bishop, which would be a church not as
divided on this issue as it was during my term in office.  I believe
this will help that division move on," he said.
     "I had great doubts about the bylaw before, but thinking it
through, I believe it will serve as unity for our church," Anderson
said.
-- -- --
     Information about assembly actions will be at
http://www.elca.org/assembly/01 on the ELCA's Web site.  Recorded
updates during the assembly are available by calling 773/380-2477.

*Michelle T. Mills is a senior at Bradley University, Peoria, Ill.  This
summer she is an intern with ELCA News & Information.

For information contact: