From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Receives Greetings from Ecumenical Partners

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:39:41 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 13, 2001

ELCA ASSEMBLY RECEIVES GREETINGS FROM ECUMENICAL PARTNERS
01-CWA53-LRJ

     INDIANAPOLIS (ELCA) -- The churchwide assembly of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)  received greetings from the Rev.
Patrice Rosner, director for ministries in Christian education, National
Council of Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. (NCC); the Most Rev. Tod
Brown, chair of the bishops committee for ecumenical and interreligious
affairs of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, Roman Catholic
Church; and the Rev. Telmor Sartison, national bishop, Evangelical
Lutheran Church in Canada (ELCIC) Aug 11.
     The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of the
ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 8-14 at the Indiana Convention Center.  There
nearly 2,500 people participating, including 1,039 ELCA voting members.
The theme for the biennial assembly is "Making Christ Known: Sharing
Faith in a New Century."
     Rosner spoke for Dr. Robert Edgar, NCC general secretary, who is
in South Korea  helping Habitat for Humanity build houses, "We continue
to work together sharing resources and strengths in the areas of
mission, faith and order, justice ministries, our 'Decade to Overcome
Poverty' and efforts to expand the ecumenical table. We know the Holy
Spirit in you will inspire your work here, enriching and extending the
work of us all."
     Brown noted, "Our dialogues together have been most productive.
When H. George Anderson attended [U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops]
meeting, it was the first time your church leader joined us. It was
productive to the faith of our people and deepening the spiritual unity
among us."
     Brown continued, "The Joint Declaration [on the Doctrine of
Justification] in 1999, was the first of many agreements we hope to have
with our churches together.  We are grateful that this has increased the
ecumenical ardor in other communities.  We draw closer together, but we
still remain church-dividing.  Other churches who seek the unity of the
church see this agreement.  I assure you support from the Catholic
Church."
     Sartison told the assembly of the ELCIC's convention in Waterloo,
Ontario, in July, at which the church body adopted "The Waterloo
Declaration--Called to Full Communion" with the Anglican Church in
Canada.  Sartison said, "We discussed the Waterloo agreement together
and in both assemblies the agreement was made by 97 percent or more.
There was stunned silence.  Then clapping on and on and on, and the
spontaneous singing of 'The Church's One Foundation.'  We danced and
danced in the arena."
     Sartison concluded sharing his retirement plans and his advice for
bishop-elect Hanson, "You were voted in on a very slim margin.  I was
too in 1985 when elected a bishop, and in 1993 when elected a national
bishop.  It is the church's way of choosing.  But now that it has been
done, you are the one in their prayers. You are the one they will
support.   Say, Amen."
-- -- --
     Information about assembly actions is at
http://www.elca.org/assembly/01 on the ELCA's Web site.  Recorded
updates during the assembly are available by calling 773/380-2477.

For information contact: